Morningstar...............

smoolie671

I must admit that a lot of people have expressed interest in your project. I must also admit that I have had more folks express ill words towards and about my project on numerous forums. I have learned a lot from these exchanges on how to deal with arm chair quarterbacks. Keep building and keep hoping that I live longer than most of these guys and throw "salt" in their eyes with perceived rediculous projects with even wood from dumpsters while the same committ harrycarry with tools attempting to duplicate them, too.

I mean all these folks opinions and comments. If you want to share your boat we all look foward to seeing it. If not go boating, take bunches of pictures and someday you will enjoy looking back on what you have accomplished while others are still posting threads asking about boats and reading other people's threads with increasing frustration that they cannot duplicate what you have and have done. Heck some use their junkers from the mountain creek drains to the shores of the seaside. 8)

You know this really irritates a lot of folks while looking out their windows in the dead of winter. while reading their computer screens and boating magazines and see nutcases on the waters in icebreakers. :wink: :lol: or so its called by many of the people you speak about. So I think you have plenty of support here, for sure. So stop looking back and begin looking over the bow like another naysayer in the pictures did many years ago when I built my first hull.

I still call it all horse manure, myself.

:wink:

post-0-12949765653_thumb.jpg

post-0-129497656537_thumb.jpg

post-0-129497656544_thumb.jpg

post-0-129497656551_thumb.jpg

Hello. I don't post much anymore, but I do recall your project from its incept.

All I can say is keep on keeping on, and ignore the detractors. Your boat is definitely unique, and I know I'm not alone in being intrigued with its progess.

Boise is less than 400 miles from my home port, and I've been known to drive similar distances to sail with other enthusiasts. ;-) Please keep us posted with your updates, and I look forward to your launch.

Peace,

Roland

Last I recall about the discussion of Morningstar was how you were dealing with being top heavy, but I honestly do not recall any disparaging comments. There was discussion about the design aspects and how you were dealing with them.

Frank's rule is: Be Nice. If someone was not being nice, I think Frank would have said something or one of the rest of us would have piped in about it. :?:

I must have missed a big section of the thread?

Oh, and my boys want me to build one like it too. They like the looks of her and the cannon. :)

I was very surprised at this post and was wondering the same thing when Ray brought up the question last week (what's new with Morning Star). I went back and read the last post for Morning Star's construction. After re-reading, I sent this Email to Smoolie671 in hope my comments weren't to blame. Then I found an earlier post were someone tried to email him and it didn't work, so I'm offering up the same here, in an effort to insure he has a chance to see it.

Hi Smoolie671,

I just read your latest post on MessingAbout's forum and was surprised to here you were not going to contribute any longer. Judging from what you'd written, I went back and read your last post (bowsprit topmast) where you lastly commented "Perhaps this is where I should part ways." Which I took at the time to mean you were done with the post for this particular discussion.

It would now seem, at least to me, that I was possibly a reason for your leaving? My post in that topic was a quick history of the use of the sprit top on commercial vessels of the era. I have to admit that I opened my comments with a maybe poorly worded sentence about your project being a "sort of" vessel, which I felt a 13' waterline version of a 16 century merchant vessel was. I then went into a brief discourse about the use of that particular rig element and the approximate time line, which I felt wasn't in keeping with your spectacular rendition of the Weekender.

I think the reasons you've elected to build, the period you've chosen and the manner at which you've progressed are outstanding, giving us all a fresh breath of inspiration and outlook for our own projects, let alone our admiration for your vision and undertaking.

I sincerely hope my poor choices in syntax will not hamper your efforts or continued participation on the MessingAbout forum. Accept my heart felt apology if I've offended or insulted you in any fashion and please reconsider your choice to contribute here. I think you'd be quite surprised at the number of individuals interested in seeing how your little ship turns out. I know I certainly am and wish to encourage and innocuously await continued progress photos, particularly the one where the family is aboard, all smiles, as the boat dances in the element she is intended to grace.

Best Regards,

Paul (PAR)

Ahoy,

What's this all about hate-mail and other disparing comments?

In a way, I understand. I do get a lot of mail myself that I hate, usually bills, though. People have even been known to call me at dinner time just to try and sell me the latest insurance policy. Somehow, though, I manage to go back to eating and not lose much sleep over it.

Moringstar, don't let any comments get you down. There are not any mean people on this board who mean for their comments to be mean, if you know what I mean.

[i removed some text and photos from this late night posting. Let's keep the focus on Morning Star and his fine boat. No need to get discouraged!]

AAAAnd have I ever told you what I realy hate and thats english teachurs

and pepple that think they are purfectunists, Jim? :P

I usually post on another board.

Yea with all of those purfect pepple to that build those purfect boats like Craig, PAR and Barry two. :cry: :wink:

purty work showoff. Now getalong little dogy

[just kidding there]

Now where were we before you came along and stold the show. :P 8)

Good to see you provide an update here. What is your expected launching timeframe?

What an awesome ship! This is my first encounter with your project and I'm blown away! Can't wait to see it launched and striking fear and terror into the critics with that cannon. By the way, where can i get one of those? I'd love to add a bow chaser to my weekender to keep the jet skiers at bay!

Keep up the good work mate it's a beauty!

• 3 weeks later...

I going to rig it as a brig, but not just any brig. 8) I have been studying the rig design from www.weatherlysquareriggers.com . If you take a look at their website you should be able to see the picture of the brig near the bottom of the page. The only real difference with mine is that I have the traditionaly stepped masts versus the pole masts mentioned in the website. As for the "action pics", well stay tuned. I should be getting her wet for the first time this spring.

P.S. I have seen the Pirates of the burning sea. Looks like a really nice game.

I've seen some pretty clever use of roller furlers on square courses. The sail has a centerline wire stitched into a pocket, just like a luff on a jib. The course is "flying" on the yard, with an outhaul on each end to keep the head tight. The centerline wire has a swivel attached to the yard and the drum is deck mounted with considerable slack, so it can billow. To deploy, you just haul on the two outhauls. To douse, you cast off the outhauls and roll it up on the centerline wire.

Jay Benford used this setup on his "Sunrise" pinky ketch, which had a very unusual rig, which he calls "The Great Pyramid Rig". Considering his expertise and experience, it's worth a look, at least for the furling option it may offer. His pyramid rig sets four sails from a single yard (amazingly enough) two stuntsails (port and starboard) a topsail and a main course. Since the sails are triangular, they only need a single sheet.

I've seen horizontally mounted roller furler systems used as well. They mount at the yard's outboard end and the head carries the wire. The other end of the yard has a swivel or another drum. This setup also sets the course flying and the head will sag a bit, but off wind it's not a big concern. The sail is doused by rolling it up horizontally, which sort of looks like a traditional furl (except neater).

As Chris has mentioned, a few brails can gather it up into a semi controlled mess without going aloft. The more brails, the neater and more controllable the furl. It takes a fair amount of power to brail a course into a reasonably compact wad, along the yard. In the glory days of sail it took many men to tuck these brails into a neat furl, but some modern thinking (like many aspects of your project) could reduce this task considerably.

Log onto Jay's web site (I think it's still www.benforddesigngroup) as he has many square rigged designs under his belt and will have handled this issue several times by now.