Morningstar...............

smoolie671

A few of you have expressed the desire to know about any new developements concerning my boat, the Morningstar.

I'll put this bluntly, There have been several people on this board that do not seem to like what I am doing, nor think me compitent enough to do so.

These people seem to not to have learned the lesson: If you can not say something nice, then do not say anything at all.

It is for this reason that this will be my final posting to this group. If you are indeed interested in what I am doing with my style of boat building, then you are more than welcome to send me a personal message. I will continue to read my messages as well as the post to this site, however I'm no longer interested in contributing. If you would like to veiw my website, you can find it listed on the links page of Phil Gowans website.

I for one would like to see you finish your boat and launch. This would be a poorer place without your contribution. If folks don't care for your project tell them that thier input is not needed. Anyone one with an opinion will be criticized by someone. In reading your posts I have seen mostly enthusiastic interest. Don't worry about any of the rest.

I was not aware that you were building for "them". We have a few on every board that just can't resist a cheap shot or to tell you how to run your railroad. Don't worry about them, the flat earthers will always be with us. Please stay and continue to participate.

Boats are like all kinds of wimmin, Some likeun, some don't. Take it from someone that is so off the wall while continuing to build misfits, your boat is as normal as most any hull that is now being celebrated and actually completely preserved and redone in the Bounty and the likes in those days. And can you imagine taking off across the ocean in a 40 footer, thinking that the world was flat and the people howling from the shoreline? Consider us all pretty darn normal when we really think about comparisons these days.

There are actually several members that now build boats fulltime that never ever respond to my nonsense. SO consider yourself part of a small an elite bunch here, likened to those gifted folks that few people understand and have no other way to address them other than lash out in frustration. :lol:

By the way, read my tagline. I am in no way being some arrogant fellow in my reply. But frankly few folks are and have been as creative in their build as you have been. All anyone has to do is to look at the website, follow the threads and spend some time looking at the detail that has gone in your project. I love it and wish to know more and to see the end result. Pictures for sure in open format, please.

Ok. I'm so tired and beat down by the way people cannot treat others with decency and respect. Some people are bullet proof, I am not one of those people. I will never stop building this boat and others like it. I do happen to know what I'm doing, and by God I will finish. But it does sting really bad when someone spouts venom in my direction when they don't even care to learn about the project and how it's built.

I did lash out. None of what I said is directed to those of you who actually like what I'm doing. I spent countless hours pouring over documents reading books, asking questions, and studying the overall look of the "ship" and what goes into it. I know it sounds like bragging, but at this point I know alot more than the average joe about this breed of vessel, all because I learned. It seems these days if you don't have a stupid piece of paper hanging on your wall saying that you graduated from high browed university that the general populace thinks your an idiot. I'm not. I know that the hull is borrowed from the weekender, but I'm sorry that I am not as perfect as others who can do plank on frame boats. I wanted a hull that was flat bottomed and less likely to heel over too far. I did my homework, and I still can't seem to win. I'm not building a mantle piece, I'm building something that will actually work!

I've said what was on my heart. I will revisit my decision again in a few days. Perhaps then things will be a bit more clear.

One of the great things about sharing what we are doing is seeing all the different ways to build a boat. The world would be a boring place if we all did the same thing as everyone else. I for one love to see pictures of each. Morningstar is so unique, that almost everyone on this board is excited to see what is happening. You have really captured the look of the 18th century ship. For those wanting a link, check http://ulyscustomplunder.itgo.com/

Please keep posting, especially if you have some great photos like this one: (I love this stuff).

mvc-842f.jpg

I also want to know when you launch, Boise might be a necessary trip.

Having watched this project with no little awe and a huge grin and having read, I think, most of the discussion; I must have missed whatever idiotic remarks lead to smoolie's feeling this way. I don't know. Maybe they were sent to him off line or something. It just boggles the mind.

Smoolie --sorry you got the cheap shots, whatever they were. If you leave, I, for one, will miss your project and will do my best to find your other link. Good luck and good hunting.

Make no little plans; they have no power to stir men's blood.

Daniel Burnham, Author of the original Chicago city plan and designer of the Great White City.

DocFrog

I took some time and looked back at the remarks in question. If it is of any consequence, the remarks that were given may have been misconstrued, may have not. The fact is, the people in question are not building the Morningstar, nor have much idea of what you are doing. The people who have commented in this thread, including myself, are VERY interested in the research you have done, and the ground you are breaking. It takes some big cahoonas to work outside the box, and there is not much experience to draw from when you do. But many eyes are watching what you do, and we are all gaining from your experience.

I don't have a clue how the original bowsprit sails and topsails were sails were rigged, but I would like to see what you came up with.

And I don't live too far away from Phil. Let me know when you will be launching. I would love to sail the Pearl next to the Morningstar (good photo-op :lol: ).

I too am glad to see that you are posting again. In going back and rereading the posts, it may be that my tongue in cheek inquiry may have struck the wrong nerve and helped to generate this general reaction.

If I in any way offended you in asking you about your build then I sincerely appologize. My comments were aimed at those that may really have an attitude about what you are trying to do and perhaps as you stated commenting on just how "authentic" it is. It doesn't have to be "Historically Accurate or Historically Authentic" to be a great project.

I too, have been as interested in your build and facinated in what you are attempting to do. Personally I think it would be fun to do and Yes, the "WOW, GEEWHIZ" factor is going to be great. Every kid "of all ages" around is going to interested in this project. I sincerely hope it all works out as you have planned and explained in response to a number of questions.

There have been some really small square riggers built and sailed with live adult crews, some even smaller than the 16' Weekender hull. They generate a lot of interest and are really fun to watch undersail. Yes, there are a lot of strings to watch and adjust. But that is a learning curve that most of those builders have managed quite well.

So from my point of view keep on going, keep on with it and keep on keeping us informed. I too would love to be there when you launch.

Most of the comments were made directly to me off the board. Oh yes! I actually have gotten my share of "hate" mail on the subject. I won't quote them or divulge who made them. Suffice it to say, they were not of a pleasant nature. Also I just recently learned of another forum that has been armchair quarter backing this project with much the same types of comments. For all I know they could very well be the same people. You know, I was always under the impression that inbreeding was still illegal. :twisted: