Plans

adifferentbreed

Greg, thanks for the link, just getting antsy. Frankly the motorcycle thing has been boring me for about the last three years, but it's a living. I really miss sailing since moving here, and last summer just made it worse.

Just wanna get started. Judging by some peoples signatures it seems there may be some parrotheads about.

Buying them from someone else wouldn't be right would it? I thought 1 set of plans 1 boat. At least that's how I understood it. Guess I'll just wait and hear from them when they get to it' date=' weathers not that great right now any way.[/quote']

I would only be wrong if that set had been used to build a boat. For instance, I have a plan set from which I will probably never build the Vacationer, and may decide to sell someday. For now, I enjoy looking them over. It is such a cool looking boat. :)

If and when I sell the set, I would also probably let the Stevenson's know where that boat number had been transfered to. There might also be a transfer fee of some sort.

Buying them from someone else wouldn't be right would it? I thought 1 set of plans 1 boat. At least that's how I understood it. Guess I'll just wait and hear from them when they get to it' date=' weathers not that great right now any way.[/quote']

I certainly agree that the designer deserves a royalty for every boat built. If the design is so clever, practical, beautiful or what-ever that it sells so many sets of plans that all design efforts are off-set and continues to sell, then good for him/her. I would give a reasonable time for responding. But if he/she is now neglecting to even respond at all to requests for plans then I would feel no guilt acquiring them elsewhere.

I hear you and understand your frustration, but a boat design such as the Vacationer, is intellectual property and even if the person(s) who own the rights do not respond, we cannot still legally take it upon ourselves to "steal" them. That being said, I seem to recall that the Stevenson's published both the Vacationer and Weekender plans in books which were then sold to the general public, so these plans might be public domain by now. It probably depends on how complete the book plan sets are.

It is not abnormal to wait weeks to get a plan set from a designer, depending on their circumstances. There are plenty of other designs and plan sets available on the market to choose from. So many that I often feel like a kid in a candy store. :lol: Lots of free, public domain, sets, which would not infringe on the law or ownership rights.

The Stevensons may be working on another boat project currently, or something else, and are away from the home in California (I think?). Mike often participates here on this forum and it is really nice to have the designer to help with questions. I suggest patience although I never have much when waiting on a new plan set. :lol:

True enough, I did sell Tony Pratt my set of plans for the Vacationer. I had decided to not build it and hence there is still only one set of plans for one boat.

I wouldn't presume to resell a set of plans that I had built one from. I respect the copyrights and design rights that go along with the work that the Stevenson's have done. These are very popular boats from a home builder standpoint, their practical building techniques have been copied by many others over the years for other projects and other boats. Peter Stevenson did us all a great service in what he has done and the low cost associated with these projects.

All good things come to those that have the patience to let them happen. This is the off season for boat building, and I wouldn't presume anything about a short delay in getting them. You will have lots of time to get started and get it built. It isn't going to be built in a few weeks or even a couple of months.

And there are a lot of others that have waited a lot longer than a few days or weeks to get them. And they are happy with the end result and the support that is available thru the forums that support these boats.

How long have you been waiting for your plans? I personally feel very strongly that the Stevenson's wouldn't have such a tremendous and loyal following if they didn't ship plans. The website says they ship every two weeks. I figure my plans should ship this week or next. At any rate the time spent waiting on the plans will be a small percentage of the overall build time.