The new EC22 design

Designer

The question about headsails might be from this quote from Tom:

an asymetrical spinaker on a retractable bowsprit

So, if I understand right, the retractable bowsprit is only for use with the assymetrical spinaker which would be for running or reaching. You don't anticipate using a headsail when beating. Correct?

Bud wrote:[Doug How is the shoulder coming along? Hope it's doing well,it will prob take some time to get some strength back in it. Bud.]

The arm is out of the sling. After 6 weeks immobilized, the right arm is noticably smaller than the left. But I am pushing the PT hard 3 times a week, and they give me exercises to do 3 times a day. There is an ache deep in the bones, made worse by the passage of a cold front.

I am returning to the easier parts of the construction -- interior fillets are coming soon, after the forward bulkaehd is scribed and wired in and the hull is straightened. I can't wait to get to Florida in 6 weeks and see everybody, even though I will be a race volunteer.

I have great hopes for Graham's entry. The boat looks great (and fast!).

Graham' date='

What is the step down on the interior in the bow are for? A resting area?

Dan[/quote']

The open area at the bow will house the mainmast tabernacle against the bulkhead and space for the anchor also. The anchor will be stored aft when when racing. There will be a partial deck over this area allowing room enough for the mast to swing through. The fiberglass tube in which the bowsprit is housed will also be fitted to the port side in there. There will be overboard drains of course.

My CS goes upwind fine, I have no complaints. I have just wondered if a bit of a headsail might improve upwind performance a smidge. But this thread isn't about headsails that don't exist. It is about that really cool boat Graham is building. :D Sorry to have caused all the fuss. I'll try to pay better attention from now on.

Graham' date='

What is the step down on the interior in the bow are for? A resting area?

Dan[/quote']

Sorry if I misinterpreted your question. You probably meant the area that will become the cuddy cabin with berths. It will be more enclosed and comfortable in bad weather than the dodger on Green Heron.

All of Graham's designs, at least the larger ones, have the offset CB. The Core Sound 17, 20 and the Princess line included. Saves piercing the keelson and makes absolutley no difference to the boats handling. One additional benefit- should you beach somewhere with small stones or shells, they don't get a chance to lock up the CNB slot, since it sits along side the keel and isn't touching the beach.

That's something that was done long ago, on boats called Noman's Island boats, for exactly that reason.

Dstgean- I'm sure he'll do the same thing he does with the mizzen staysail- use the halyard itself led aft and to weather as a running backstay. Works quite well on the Princess 22.

Dudley Dix already sells plans for Minis made out of plywood http://dixdesign.com/oneill.htm

They are quite a build, but will probably never compete with the carbon/foam sandwich construction of the protos like Acadia http://www.teamacadia.org/ which had its hull built and Maine and the rest of work done in Stonington under the guidance of the designer Rod Johnstone of J Boats fame.

Minis are quite an exciting class, but I'll stop here is this thread is about Grahams new design.

post-1086-129497655802_thumb.jpg

Charlie has it right on the offset CB. All of Graham's boats that have a protective keel have the CB offset. Allows the keel to be continuous which keeps it from hanging up on rollers in launching/retreiving, protects the CB and trunk when dragging on the beach and is stronger. NO disadvantages that we have found.

The halyard will be used as a running backstay.

Turned the boat rightside up today for the last time.