Award for CS17 Kirsty Ann

Peter Batchelor

More kudos for Graham's fabulous design!

On the weekend CS17 #122 Kirsty Ann received the Wooden Boat Association Victorian Branch trophy for the best wooden boat at the 2006 Melbourne Boat Show.

The boat show was held in July, but the WBA traditionally makes the award during our annual Christmas lunch. Kirsty Ann certainly attracted a lot of attention at the boat show, along with the other boats from the WBA, but it was a pleasant surprise to receive the trophy! You can have a look at it at http://www.batchelors.net/personal/boat/cs17/index.html :D

Thanks again Graham for a wonderful design to build!

Peter

Jeff, so far I've found the hatches have been excellent. They haven't leaked a single drop, but then I haven't had the cockpit that full of water either...

I started off by trying wooden hatches built into the top and side of the seats, with a drainage channel underneath, but I wasn't happy with the seal I got, so I filled in the holes and mounted the plastic hatches - I'm very happy with them...

Peter

I did a fair bit of experimenting with adding dust from sanded ply to the epoxy mix to get the colour of the join to the point that I was happy with it. Even so, it loks better in the picture than it does up close and personal :?

I epoxy coated everything, and then added several coats of AquaCote, an Australian epoxy-based paint, to get a low maintenance, hard wearing finish. The hull and cockpit were coated in white Aquacote, and then a couple of clear coats, and I found that this was easy to spray on, but the clear coatings over the decking just wouldn't spray smoothly, so I finished up using a piece of foam as a brush, and if you look carefully you can see ripples in the finish left by the foam... All in all though, I'd have to say that this paint gave a great finish that has the benefit of including UV protection (although Kirsty Ann is kept in a garage when not in the water, so I probably won't be repainting for quite a while).

Peter

• 1 month later...

Peter,

Your boat is beautiful!

It looks like your mizzen is almost as tall as your main. I cut mine down quite a bit hoping to lower the center of effort a bit. It seemed to help. Then I lowered the main and found I couldn't really see where I was going until I had a window sewn into the main. Since you take your family I imagine you'd rather not sweep one into the water, but you might have room to tweek the mizzen a bit.

Did I mention your boat is beautiful?

Gordy

Peter,

Your boat is beautiful!

It looks like your mizzen is almost as tall as your main. I cut mine down quite a bit hoping to lower the center of effort a bit. It seemed to help. Then I lowered the main and found I couldn't really see where I was going until I had a window sewn into the main. Since you take your family I imagine you'd rather not sweep one into the water, but you might have room to tweek the mizzen a bit.

Did I mention your boat is beautiful?

Gordy

Hi Gordy,

I kept the masts the same length. The main looks slightly taller because of the step being somewhat higher than the mizzen step. I have throught about reducing the height of the mizzen, but I'm used to the space under the sail now. If I get around to making some birdsmouth masts perhaps I'll reduce the length of both, and add a window to the main.

There are certainly times when a bit more of a view forward would be handy - generally when there are extra bodies in the boat. Still, the extra people are a very useful and portable way of stopping the spray reaching me :D

Peter