Boom Gallows help needed please

Craig

While putting a fresh coat of paint on my Vac's mast, in a crowded garage, I managed to stick my fat a.. into the compression post and knock it over onto the driveway. The cute little douglas fir rain cap shattered when one corner hit the ground. It didn't glue back togather very well either. The Mate keeps talking about a binini but my boom is too low. Well, you know where this went. The new conpression post has been cut and the first coat of epoxy is drying as I type. I added 18" making it 80" from the keelson to the top of the tabernacle tennon. I am wondering if setting the mast will be more difficult now? The geometry will change a bit. Is this the time to change to a cutter rig? I could fab up a new sprit in a very short time. I was not going to do this mod this year but what the hell. The new stub is more than half done now. This taller spar makes my boom crutch too short. I could make another of the same type, however, I am hoping there is enough clearance now for a gallows. Someone had a nice one in a photo some time back. Does anyone remember where the photo is or have a design to share? I actually need the gallows to hold the folded mast with some kind of support to lock the boom in below the mast. I would like to hear your ideas. Thanks...

Craig :?

I am hoping there is enough clearance now for a gallows

What's a gallows?? I can wait for a picture if will serve the answer better.

A boom gallows is high like a radar arch, but positioned at the stern to hold the boom and mast when it is folded down. It differs from a boom crutch only in the size and shape of it.

This question "has legs". Was also wondering what a boom gallows was when Frank compared it to a radar arch. What's a radar arch? And I still can't picture a boom gallows.

Leave it to me to offer an explanation more confusing than the original term!

Here are a few pics that show different boom gallows. Craig' date=' I've seen these homemade with pipe and wood. Johannah, the one that is forward of the hatch looks more like a radar arch, a high arch above the cockpit on powerboats where they put the radar unit. Hunter Sailboats started putting "radar arches" over their hatchs and cockpits and putting main sheet travelers on them a few years back, sending the sailing purists into fits of hysteria. Now you see them all the time.

But a boom gallows does what these three examples do ... same job as the boom crutch, but its permanently attached to the stern (usually) and catches the boom when you ease the halyards.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin']

Mine looks very similar to the one in Frank's bottom picture. I laminated three pieces of 1x6 doug fir stock and cut it out roughly two feet wide. I put two knotches in the top, one for the mast and one for the boom. I purchased a section of that really shiny stainless tubing and four of the stainless deck flanges that the tubing fits into. A little stain, a little varnish and mounted it on top of the lazarette. Works great. I even use it every now and then to sit on when underway but I have to be careful to keep an eye on the boom. That would hurt.

If I ever get around to doing a new web page I'll add a picture of it. Of course I've been promising to do a new page for the last two or three years. Someday I'll have to get around to learning all this computer gibberish.