Registering in Florida?

tomstock

Hi everyone... yes I know it's been a long time but I've been stuck in the "finding reasons not to launch" stage. I finally broke down and decided I am going to launch within two weeks ready or not.

I called the Dept of Fish and Game and they told me I do not need to register my weekender if the length is under 16 and I do not have a motor. I asked if length meant Length on Deck or overall length including rudder, bowspirit, ladders, etc. They did not know. They asked an officer who said if it doesn't have a motor then don't bother registering it.

Naturally my weekender is 15'9" on deck or thereabout, until I install the bowspirit and rudder.

So, I just thought I'd ask if anyone else here in Florida had to register their weekender or had any problems with the Marine Patrol before I launch without registering.

Question is: Length on deck may be 15'9", but what about the keel under the bowspirit. Doesn't that part count too?

Thanks

-tom

St. Petersburg, Fl

The Weekender is classified as a 15' 9" LWL boat by the designers, so that's what the Dept. of Fish and Game will use. The Stevenson's designed it that way so that home builders would not have to register it if they don't put a motor on it (in most states).

We do have a bit about registering the Weekender in Florida in our FAQ at http://www.messing-about.com/weekender/register_faq.html#florida although it may be a bit dated. I wouldn't be surprised to see that the fees have increased since 2004 when that was posted.

You might want to register it anyway, so you won't have any problem putting a motor on it later on if you are planning to add propulsion.

Tom you will need to take the reciepts for the materials used to build your boat to the tax collectors office in your county with an inspection letter from the Marine Patrol apply. Register your boat at 15.5 or 16 foot. Sprits don't cound only the deck length as Frank says. Have the reciepts, else you must declare the value of the boat and you will be taxed accordingly. The reciepts show the tax was paid on the materials. The bigger mess of documents you take the better, the will not want top copy all of them to fax to the state. YOu will get tag and regestration right there and tilte will come by mail. Do the trailer tags at the same time. My renewel was about $22.50 this year as I recall. Launch away!

Well, after talking to the tax office I was told I do not need to register the boat since I am not installing a motor (at least not for now) and it is under 16ft.

If I decide to install a motor, I'll register it. I just want to get sailing before I put it off any longer.

Thanks.