If I can just beat the snow

Greg Luckett

I think I am out of time to finish the roof of the shed this year. A winter storm is almost here and things will probably be bad for several months, so a 20x30 heavy duty tarp is now covering the entire roof.

Maybe the professional roofers know some tricks and can roof in winter weather here? :lol: I hope their prices are not too steep.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished the doors, but the hinges will not be here until next week. A professional roofer has agreed to do the roof and expects to accomplish it without waiting until spring. This was very good news, but the tarp will probably work until spring anyway. A trip to the lumber yard today obtained the lumber for building the interior storage shelves. It actually looks like I will be able to clear out the garage/shop this winter and get started on the many projects waiting for shop space. :D:D

• 2 weeks later...

We got the roof shingled today, working well into the dark using halogen lamps for lighting. Just a few trim boards left to do on the outside, the side door modifications, and some painting and this project is done. If the rain holds off a little longer those things should be done. Next is the clearing of the shop and moving the materials into the shed. Tommorrow is going to be another busy day. :D

Nice work' date=' Greg and the boys. Haven't been down this way in a bit, and saw a fancy light on tonight. :wink:[/quote']

Ok, Oyster, I must confess to not understanding this post....but what else is new? :lol: I live confused most of the time anyway. :lol:

The shed is finished for the winter. The interior shelving and lumber storage is completed, the side door hinges are replaced, and things/materials from the garage/shop have begun the migration to the shed. The shelving was made from left over panel materials but the 2x4s were new. A couple of small, used, casement style windows with screens were picked up from the Restore store for $15. There is enough T1-11, 2x4s, and shingles to build at least a couple of new dog houses too ( if I beat Sam and Ben to the pile.....tree houses are in their dreams :lol: ).

When it warms up enough the windows will be installed and the shed will be painted. We are thinking of a light gray with white trim.

Whooppeeee the shop is back!! :D

Looks like you gained quite a bit of storage space with that little shed!

198 sqft on the floor and not sure how much in upper deck shelving.

It boggles my mind the amount of hardware and lumber and tools that I have collected over the years. I need to sell my older table saw to save room but hate doing it since it is such a nice saw, with a router table built onto it that can use the same fence system. I made a decision last year to make the move to maximum portablity and it is not easy to move unless on a semi-finished surface. I upgraded the fence system when adding on the router table about 4 years ago. Even though I have a newer, more portable table saw and a router table, I find myself using the old one most often. I will probably not get a decent price for it anyway and would rather just box it up and store it until one of the boys needs one. Go figure? :roll:

Nice work' date=' Greg and the boys. Haven't been down this way in a bit, and saw a fancy light on tonight. :wink:[/quote']

Ok, Oyster, I must confess to not understanding this post....but what else is new? :lol: I live confused most of the time anyway. :lol:

This thread is in the lower half of the forum with the red mark in the bell shaped icon that indicated that there was a new post when I logged in and I posted. I did not realize that your shed thread was in this section at the time.

Looks like you gained quite a bit of storage space with that little shed!

198 sqft on the floor and not sure how much in upper deck shelving.

It boggles my mind the amount of hardware and lumber and tools that I have collected over the years. I need to sell my older table saw to save room but hate doing it since it is such a nice saw' date=' with a router table built onto it that can use the same fence system. I made a decision last year to make the move to maximum portablity and it is not easy to move unless on a semi-finished surface. I upgraded the fence system when adding on the router table about 4 years ago. Even though I have a newer, more portable table saw and a router table, I find myself using the old one most often. I will probably not get a decent price for it anyway and would rather just box it up and store it until one of the boys needs one. Go figure? :roll:[/quote']

I would store it. Unless you have someone you want to pass it on to before then, it won't be worth selling with what you could get for it, but enabling someone else to do things with it is a greater reward.

I always try to find out a bit about the prior owner ... when I bought a scraper at a flea market/swap meet, I talked to the lady for a while. Found out I was the first person who knew what the scraper was, and the first to ask about the prior owner ... it was her dad. She tried to give me several tools, but they were things I would never use. So I bought the stuff I thought I would use, and now whenever I use those hand tools, I think of the lady and her dad. Same thing with my old drill press; the father had it from when it bought it new (before I was born!) and had used it all those years. He built furniture that they used in their homes, and somehow that makes the tool more valuable to me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Greg

Here's a detail for the top of the doors in the gable endwall. It looks like there is a T1-11 joint +/- 5" above the doors to insert the drip edge. If not a 1/4" deep sawcut would suffice but not work as well. Note how the hem is bent up so it wedges tightly into the joint. For the small amount of effort, this would add considerable life to the doors and jamb casings.

post-871-129497655882_thumb.jpg

Phil,

Thanks. It will not work on this shed though, but I do like the idea. :)

The shed's doors are hinged rather than sliding, and that trim strip above the door is mostly for looks. the T1-11 seam is about 18 to 20 inches above the door top and has drip edge installed there too.

What I am going to do is fabricate door drip edges sort of like a window would have. When the weather here improves or I get ambition (usually comes with warm weather) I will make them and post some pics.

:)

Greg

We're on the same page. That's basicly what the drawing abv. is. I just wasn't sure if that was a butt joint or not.

The normal drip edge on a door also has siding over it which provides a counter flashing of sort, with T1-11 you don't have that luxury. If you can get the drip edge back past the face of the T1-11, idealy like you're upper joint with a vertical leg, you're 2 steps up. It is a pain to make the extra cut, but just think of the T1-11 behind the head casing as a spacer.

Good rule of thumb for all flashing details: If you can make the water run uphill 1" or more before it gets inside. It probably wont leak, but....