If I can just beat the snow

Greg Luckett

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know that door looks kinda small for a boat to get thru. I have a 12 foot opening from my shop to my 2 car garage and then to the outside. You might want to rethink that door unless any boat you should build be nothing more than a canoe or smaller.

Good point Arnie, but that is just an in/out person door. On the left side is a wider door. The shed really is for the boat building materials as I build in the garage/shop. It is so stuffed with materials now that I cannot build anything but very small projects. The weather makes it very difficult to store outside, even under tarps, which I tried for several years and finally gave up. I will probably turn the shed into a boat building house in a few years when the power to the house gets upgraded and a subfeed can then be run to the shed.

Thanks,

Greg.

Thanks Frank! This venue is more appropriate for the shed.

I am still waiting on the blessing of the building inspector before I can continue construction, but he is not really holding me up much. I need to make about 40 more roof truss gussets and those won't be ready until Friday night. The weather is worsening (snow, rain, sleet) but is supposed to be better in a couple of days. To assemble the trusses, it needs to be done outside at the shed. Last year at this time we had a blizzard and lots of snow.

The building inspector called and gave me the go ahead to continue the shed construction. The rush is now on to get the trusses fabricated and the wall panels installed. Weather permitting, the roof should be on and shingled by Sunday evening. :D

Darn, we worked most of the day and only got 5 trusses made of the nine needed. Part of the side wall T1-11 is up too. My whole crew is bushed from the work and the cold seems to sap a lot of energy from us too.

Hopefully the weather will be ok tomorrow and we will finish the other 4 trusses and get the rest of the siding up.

Frank, you are right on both counts. If it were not for the benefits of a higher ceiling inside the shed, a gable roof would have been much more simple to build. This is the first gambrel roof I have ever done and making sure those angles were right took a lot more time than I had estimated. I am still picking out splinters from todays work too....ie the pain....oh, and nearly every muscle and many joints are hurting....a good but hard days work.

We would have worked much later and maybe gotten the other 4 trusses done but the weather changed, rain and snow tonight and snow tomorrow. It is getting real iffy to get this shed done before spring and that will have a negative effect on me getting any projects done in the shop this winter......I continue to drive my sons and self to finish despite the weather.

The boys and I decided to work in between the snow and rain squalls. Of course my sons were somewhat dubious when their old man insisted on trying to finish the trusses and get some wall panels on. We managed to finish the trusses and get the back, lower shed panel on. When it started raining or snow pelleting us, we grabbed our tools and headed into the shop/garage and pulled the tarp over the material as we ran by. This happened about 6 or 7 times but once the boys saw it could be done there was no need to push them anymore. :lol:

Frank, there is hope to get the roof on by Wednesday, and shingled by Friday. :D

The boys and I took a couple of days off to visit with family then hit it hard again starting yesterday and now we are ready to start the roofing. We knocked off at sun down, all of us sore and tired. It is supposed to be rainy the next four days so I will work on building the doors and do the roofing as the weather permits. :)

That is really looking good Greg. How are you going to heat it and are you going to insulate and finish the inside?

I do not plan to heat or finish the inside until after I manage to get an electrician to actually show up to upgrade my house power supply. I plan to subfeed a 100 amp circuit to the garage/shop and run a line out to the shed. At this point the shed is just storage. I heat the shop with kerosene heaters and use small electric heaters with plastic sheeting to spot heat scarf joints, etc.

Thank you for thinking it looks good...I agree :D

Not much progress but Sam and I made the small side door and hung it yesterday evening. The hinges look nice but are not good enough to maintain the door position. I have special ordered the replacements.

It is raining hard now with snow and a serious drop in temperature expected within the next day. The roof needs tar paper and shingles so I put the biggest tarp I own on top to try and cover the panel joints and keep the interior a little dryer. Hopefully I can find a roofer who will both do the job quickly and not charge me an arm and a leg. :)