Lafitte Skiffs

Rocks

Hello everyone...

I'm about to retire on the Alabama Gulf Coast and want to commission someone to build me a Lafitte Skiff specifically for shrimping. I prefer inboard engine, but at this point, will consider twin outboards although they could restrict the work area.

I need a pilothouse on about a 27 to 30-footer with not more than a 9-foot beam so I can tow her to a boat launch. Capabilities for towing are in the neighborhood of 10,000-lb.

If necessary, I could drive to the east coast for pick-up. I've researched all my favorite options in Louisiana, but the one guy I knew could build one was wiped out in Hurricane Katrina. Googling for Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas have produced nothing...on the Internet, anyway.

About a year ago, I saw someone build one and show his progress right here on this site, but have no info regarding the builder, and since then, the thread seems to have been deleted.

Any input or referrals?

Hi there Rocks,

Welcome aboard!

I don't have a good answer for you but I thought I'd suggest making this same post on the main forum. I think it will get more attention there.

There are a few pro builders that frequent this forum so you'll probably get a few names of possible builders. I hope you find the right builder and I hope to see progress pics here as your boat comes to life.

Hi there Rocks' date='

Welcome aboard!

I don't have a good answer for you but I thought I'd suggest making this same post on the main forum. I think it will get more attention there.

There are a few pro builders that frequent this forum so you'll probably get a few names of possible builders. I hope you find the right builder and I hope to see progress pics here as your boat comes to life.[/quote']

Thanks a bunch, Ken. I'll do just that. :D

• 1 year later...
Guest boater

hello--there is a builder in lafitte la---bobby boudroux---i have been to his shop once -he has a good rep--i do know a couple of others---alton terrebonne in golden meadow, la is my pick--he built my skiff.  email me at  delaget@bellsouth.net--ill get you some phone numbers.    ted