forum attachment question

Joe Nelson CS#35

Hey joe,

I was going to try and help you out, as I have put a few photos into my messages a while back (without the link). I tried a couple of times and now all I can come up with is the link style attachment too. I'm wondering if something has changed on Frank's end? (maybe only a certain amount of photos can be uploaded per disk space?) I know he is still tweaking things. Maybe someone can solve the mystery...

Bill

Hey joe' date='

I was going to try and help you out, as I have put a few photos into my messages a while back (without the link). I tried a couple of times and now all I can come up with is the link style attachment too. I'm wondering if something has changed on Frank's end? (maybe only a certain amount of photos can be uploaded per disk space?) I know he is still tweaking things. Maybe someone can solve the mystery...

Bill[/quote']

I have a couple of settings to control the pictures. I have been playing around with them to try and make sure the pictures don't cause the forums to load slow or scroll horizontally. The messages retain the settings from when they were posted, so it could be that I had the settings too low at one point.

Right now, the maximum size a picture can be is a screen filling 800 x 600 pixels, to allow folks to post big pictures if they want. The maximum size I allow to be viewed is 600 x 400 pixels to prevent the horizontal scrolling. So any picture that is larger than 600 x 400 will appear as a link.

There is another setting, and that produces a thumbnail of each picture. But then every picture will be a thumbnail.

Can you try it again? Maybe try one sized just below the 600 x 400 size, and then one just over it.

It might be that the software isn't picking up the sizes correctly. I did notice that if I have the settings set one way, the post takes the settings and keeps them, so I can't change the settings and make the picture display. But for any posted currently, they should display if they are 600 x 400 or below.

Well, it seems to be posting as you said. I don't know if you tweaked anything since I tried this morning or not. I used the same method to post them as I did earlier and it seemed to work this time. It could be me, maybe I wasn't watching and tried to post something real large without noticing it. I could have sworn I checked to make sure I was in legal limits though, since I had 2-3 no-go's!!... oh well!!

Thanks..

Bill

Well' date=' it seems to be posting as you said. I don't know if you tweaked anything since I tried this morning or not. I used the same method to post them as I did earlier and it seemed to work this time. It could be me, maybe I wasn't watching and tried to post something real large without noticing it. I could have sworn I checked to make sure I was in legal limits though, since I had 2-3 no-go's!!... oh well!!

Thanks..

Bill[/quote']

Nope, no tweaks this morning. I think I changed them sometime last week or the week before ... I had the settings higher, but did some testing for horizontal scrolling at a screen resolution of 800 x 600, and lowered them.

I'll leave it alone, so let me know if it does it again.

I thought there was also a limit on the size (KB) of the picture, and would put a link if the picture was over a certain KB size (that's to speed up the forum loading for those of us with dial up connections). But I didn't see that setting when I checked the above. Did the pics have a file size larger than these?

The limit is 200kb. I don't think I have anything gets over 200kb. unless it also is also oversize (600 x 400px.). When you hit the 200kb. limit a warning comes up and won't let you post it. I could have opened a small size photo in my graphics editor, say 3 x 5 inches and this would fit the size limitations (width/height) looking at it, and look fine in the editor, but if it was a 300ppi (as opposed to a normal screen size of 72ppi) scanned photo, the actual size (width and height) would default to a link type attachment. I suspect that may have been the situation. I think we are ok! If it does seem to mess up again, I'll get all the specs on the situation...until then, I will assume the problem was operator induced...my fault! :roll:

Bill