New project, a few questions

capt jake

Well, I got the the other half of the hull stripped the other day in about 2 hours. Talk about a dusty mess. ;)

I spent the bulk of the day today stripping out the rotten material in the keel area. Fortunatley there is still some solid material, but not much. :( Thickend epoxy and some biax should do the trick. ;)

No real good way to deal with all of those rotten steel nails. They won't pull out, even if I could get ahold of them. Bought a new carbide ball mill for the die grinder and ground them out. :) New SS screws in between each of the old fasteners. About 100 in so far, several more 100 to go.

I have all of the major galvanized bolts at the frame to stringer joints replaced. All except the final 2. Those two were not accessable until I got into the keel. Nuts came off fine, the bolts won't budge though. :( I managed to mangle them pretty good though. :) Unfortunately, in the process of trying to beat them out (hammer, air nailer, etc) the stringer to frame joints have opened up! i got some longer #10 SS scres that I will sink through the skin, stringers adn then into the frame (with epoxy in the joint). I guess those two remaining bolts will stay where they are, albeit, without nuts.

I have logged 15 8 hour days thus far, progressing right along. :)

Planning on re-screwing all of the stringers and frames on Friday, then to fill the hundreds of holes from grinding and screwing!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic