Fun weekend in the SW

adla

Well - the folks in the southwest got together and had a good time with their weekenders! I put some pictures together on a web page -

http://adlacearl.com/SWNavajo.html

i hope Frank doesn't mind me posting the thread

( i did just get the bright idea of buying my books for school from the amazon link on this site - yes i am going back hahaha)

http://byyb.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=736

The folks in the SW just like getting together and enjoying good company and sailing the boats we built ourselves!

the best moment was when i first put Morgaine in the water and then pulled the trailer out while not noticing that her stern had whipped around :shock: :oops: :shock:

i broke the rudder in about 4 pieces but quickly came up with a real pirate fix that worked great for the rest of the weekend:

P8190125_001.sized.jpg

a.

Adla, I really enjoyed your page as well. It looks like you all had a real good time. I really loved the rudder repair! Nothing like field engineering to save the weekend! My favorite all around fit-it material is parachute cord. It ranks right up there with Duct Tape 8)

Outstanding Weekend! What a group! It is great to see a number of people who hardly knew about the common thread come together and find this kind of friendship and joy in being together just "Messing About in Boats".

Guess we better get something going up here in the Pacific Northwest too. Getting to be a few of us, but we aren't spread out as much. :lol:

Thanks Adla for sharing! :D

thanks John, Mike, Craig, and Barry! That tape was electrical tape that I bought when I stopped in Cedar City for fishing licenses. One of my fender s on the trailer decided to abandon ship about midway between St. George and Cedar City so, I was going to tape the electrical up and hope my lights would still work for the trip home. It was lucky that I had it. My rudder is swiss cheese, but the tape held and the whole weekend was fun! I hollered out as I was fixing the rudder that all i need is some JB weld and a ball ping hammer to fix anything....people had some questions after that fer sure.

The southwest is full of rogues...we don't really give a poOh about *membership exclusivity* - we have a goOd time and people are invited regardless of whatever their affiliation !!! It IS about messing-about in boats. At night it was about Cowboy poetry and Steve Downs singing. When we beached for lunch a couple came up to me as Teresa and I unloaded and asked about the boats. I told them we were all from different parts of the southwest and they asked who specifically was from Cedar City. When I told them it was Steve Downs, they asked incredulously, "the musician?" ---- I said "yeah...he's my friend" :)

The weekender is stable but any boat can be scary in a big blow - that lake had super variable conditions. At one point, Phill was running and headed towards another boat that was also running in an opposite direction....the wind was fickle to say the least.

It was fun - and there are quite a few pics of weekenders on the water...

a.

Wonderful pictures; thanks for sharing them.

I have a certain amout of sympathy for catasrophic rudder failure. Nice recovery. Charlie Girl is, I hope, going back in the water this weekend with her new rudder and tentative adjustments to the shrouds to clear the binding of the gaff up a bit. Still time to fix before Nickajack in September if the fixes don't work.

DocA