CS17 Questions

Guest Seagull

Guest Seagull

I received my CS17 plans the other day and have been studying them ever sense. I have a few questions so far and I'm sure that I'll have dozens more as I get into the project.....

1. The plans describe one way of butting joints using a sandwich method that calls for running sheet rock screws all the way through the sandwich to insure pressure in the mid areas where the clamps can't reach. Do I understand that the screws go through the plywood side panels and if so, how do I fill the holes when the screws are removed? Is there any other way to do this that doesn't involve drilling holes through the side panels?

2. Is that method of butting the best way of doing this? Would using a butt block improve the joint?

3. I am going to use my 6 HP outboard for auxiliary power and both Graham and Carla said the boat will handle it. Okay, but this motor weighs about 55 pounds; should I do anything to reinforce the transom or get thicker plywood for the transom to handle the load?

Thanks

Chuck Gullage

Chuck, I used the butt joint scheme in building my CS20. I can tell you the method produces a good quality joint. It is important however to get the boards well clamped together. I went ahead and screwed right through the marine ply in order to keep constant pressure on the joint (placing screws about every 8 " across the joint). The holes get filled later with a mix of epoxy and thickening agents...they will not be visible.

But if it any consolation, I know how you feel about putting holes in an otherwise good boat hull.

I too have concern for hanging a 6 hp motor on the stern. I am considering adding additional bracing using 2x6 lumber that spreads the stresses off the transom and onto the hull bottom and sides.

The motor issue...Its amazing how flimbsy production sailboat transoms can be. I had a Catalina 22 and you could flex the transom visibly via the motor mount that hung off the transom. I had a honda 7.5 4 stroke on it. It was recommended that you not transport the boat with the motor attached. I think the same could be applied to the core sounds. You wont have a problem in the water. I added a later vertical support in the center of the transom. Also used a larger top frame. Then added a backer to the transom where the motor mount will go. If you use big fillets, that will help too. Most of the fillets I see in web pages are too small (use a larger radious tool to apply the fillet material). This helps to spread the load out to the other panels without stressing the joint so much.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Guest ricardo de oliveira

Joe,

what kind of motor support are you planning to fit in your transom? Any ideas for something light and/or removable? Mine's a CS17 and I'll probably use a 3.3 H.P.

Thanks,

Ricardo

Guest Seagull

The only lumber yard I could find in the Chatham, NJ area is actually on Long Island, NY. They want $60 for a sheet of 1/4" and $115 for a sheet of 3/8" okoume marine plywood. They'll do free deliver for orders over $540 - my order I think would come to about $850. I knew this stuff was going to be expensive, so I wasn't too surprised. What do you think of those prices?

Chuck

Guest njcoaster

I live in Jersey, and I found a place called US Mahogany in Aberdeen, NJ, which is right near South Amboy. It is hard to find, so call them first. They stock marine ply, and they are very, very nice.

Here is another option: World Panel Product 888 836 3379 www.worldpanel.com.

I found they have several options for types of wood at different price levels. Pricing is reasonable and shipping costs were small compared to the total order.

Caveat: at the end of the day I thougth this to be a good source, but ended up buying wood from someone else for convenience.

Guest Seagull

Thanks for all the suggestions. So far quotes for plywood, including shipping, range from $650 - $1033. Edensaw.com has the best price at $650, but that sounds too good to be true. I think I'll call them back tomorrow and make sure we are in sync. Has anyone dealt with them? The median price seems to be about $880.

Also, thanks for the suggestions on the temporary garage. I got an estimate from Coverit today on a 10 x 24 for close to $1000. I'm seriously considering them, however, a friend suggested that I only buy the cover from them and purchase the pipes and connectors from Home Depot. He says that chain link fence supplies do the trick.

Chuck

Guest Anonymous

I bought 12 sheets of 6 mm okoume and 4 sheets of 3/8" marine fir from Edensaw. Total price shipped to Denver, Co was about $850. Packing and shipping was about $200. I used the packing OSB for my temp frame and cradles. The Meranti would have been less money. The service was great. I got the plywood in four days from the time I confirmed the order.

Terry