Forum Hints and Tips

Frank Hagan

I'm discovering most of the features of the old software are here too, but in a different way. Here are some tips:

Q. How do I return to the initial Forum Index page? Or the Forum index page for the forum I'm reading?

At the top and bottom of the "blue box" that holds the messages is a line that looks like:

messing-about.com Forum Index -> Main Forum

Those are links ... click on the "Forum Index" portion to return to the main forum index page (showing all the other forums), or on the "Main Forum" portion to the right to go back to the Main Forum index page. People don't realize they are links because they aren't underlined. But they are links! (On the page they are ... they aren't links in this message, because I'm just quoting what it says. But you knew that already. Quit being so picky.)

Q. How do I show just the most recent posts? The page is full of old posts imported from the old forums.

At the bottom of the "blue box" topic index for each forum is a drop down box where you can select how to display messages. By default, it says "Display topics from previous: All Topics", but you can choose 1 Day, 7 Days, 2 Weeks, 1 Month, 3 Months, 6 Months or 1 Year. If you're a registered user, and you set this to 7 Days, the software will insert that choice into your "cookie" and it will display that way until you change it to some other value.

Q. How do I find out more about the software?

Click on the "FAQ" link in the navigation menu at the top of every page. It is the shortened form of the user's manual for the forum software. I have most things enabled, so ask if you see something there you can't figure out.

Q. Is there an easier way to format the text than typing in those brackets and commands for "bbCode"?

Yes, you can type the text, then highlight it using the mouse or SHIFT-ARROW keys, then click on one of the text formatting buttons above the message box. The Forum software will insert the code at the beginning and end of your selected text. Its quite a bit faster than typing them yourself!

Q. Is there a way to just see new posts, or just the ones I've posted in already? I'm in a big hurry because I'm building this boat, you see ...

From the forum index page where all the forums are listed, there are three links at the top right of the "blue box" containing the forum listings. They are:

View posts since last visit
View your posts
View unanswered posts

You can click on "View posts since last visit" to see all the posts in all the forums that have been updated since the last time you logged on. You can click "View your posts" to see all the posts you are watching, or have posted in, even if nothing has happened since the last time you logged on. And you can see all the posts that have not had a response yet by clicking "View unanswered posts". You have to be registered and log in for this to appear, but its a pretty nifty way to see all the new messages, etc., if you just have to get back to sanding.

Hi

Went to login and this what I got

Sorry, but your password cannot be retrieved because your account is currently inactive. Please contact the forum administrator for more information

can you help or set me on the right path to the admiinistor

I'm in the memders list but can't login :oops:

I show RADAR 13 as an active user. Did you try with that username?

If you did, I can change your password and email it to you (you'll be able to change it by going into Profile after logging in). Please email me first with your email address in the message (you can click on the Email button at the bottom of this message to send me an email).

• 2 weeks later...

The little folder icons get really excited when there's a lot of activity on a post, and they start wiggling like that. So its an indication there's a lot of activity in that post.

I'd like it better if it told you how many unread messages in that thread, but hey, I'll take a wiggle if that's all I get! :wink:

• 1 month later...

Frank,

I have tried to edit my album over the past few weeks but have been unable to get in. I changed my e-mail address a few months back and I am wondering if that is part of the problem. When I click on add photos, I get bumped over to Msn sign in. I try to sign in and I get bumped back to the sign in page.

Problem solved, in a round about way. I changed over to cable a few months back and of coarse the e-mail address changed, too. I have to log on with my old address and pass to access my Weekender Site album.

Of coarse I also had my security turned up to high, that cookie thing, you mentioned to Bob. Live and learn, let see if I can post a pic. Looks like some things have changed :oops:

P3240027.JPG?dc=4675414958750046744[/img]

I had a Little help, Frank, But they were made in the Knife Shop on my homestead. Jimmy Little, died about five years ago, he was a partner of mine of many years. He was the true knife maker, I just apprenticed for a dozen years, or so. The two daggers were made several years apart, and any thing hard or complicated was over saw by J.L. Little. The Knife Shop is still there on my land, but I haven't the strength or the heart for the art any longer. I gave the shop to Jim's brother Sam, who is all most as good as Jim was when we first teamed up. :lol: Never the less Sam has the heart for the trade, where I am more of a Patron. Mike

I have two I'm holding for my sister (we divided up Dad's war relics, and these are from Europe during WWII). One is what looks to be a french dagger, in a leather scabard that has unfortunately been sliced when one of us was playing with it. The other is a Nazi knife that was defaced when my dad gouged out the swastika to be able to carry the knife home.

We also have a sword, but I think its from a later date. Not sure. Its never been sharpened.

Here's some pics of them. Note that the swastika was removed from the knife, I think because weapons with the swastika weren't allowed back (he brought back two Italian carcano rifles, and other Nazi memorabilia, including a huge swastika flag which was in Berlin when he got there).

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]