Any Australian Core Sound 17/20's

John Mann

Greetings,

I discovered this forum whilst visiting the B&B sites and have browsed all the previous posts covering CS17 & 20's. I am familiar with the attributes of the twin sprit boomed marconi sail rig of the core sound series (I sail a Micro with a similar rig). I have appreciated the depth of knowledge and great pics submitted by forum members and have learnt a lot. I am looking for another design to build. I want something with the same sailing characteristics as the Micro, but more weatherly and faster. I have been looking for a design with a cabin, but most of my sailing is singlehanded daysailing so the core sound greatly interests me. I have seen a few Australians in the members' area so I guess that there are a few boats sailing here. I saw one on Sydney Harbour once and was impressed. I would love to see either a CS17 or CS20 up close and discuss with the owner their experience. Can anyone oblige? I live in Sydney Australia,

Regards and Thanks in Advance,

John

[/code]

Hi John,

I'm in Melbourne, but I'm happy to talk to a Sydneysider about boats :wink:

There is a member of this group in Sydney (Dave Newell) but I haven't seen any posts from him recently.

Antony Harvey is near Canberra, and is building a Princess 22.

Rob Blackburn is from Queensland, and has a cs20. He's given this list lots of inspiration with the photos he's taken on his various trips. See http://homepage.mac.com/blackburns/Expeditions/Menu160.html for details. We haven't heard from him for a while either...

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for the offer and leads re boats. I will contact you off line with some questions.

Jeff,

Yes she is a Bolger Micro. I sail regularly on Sydney harbour, much to the amusement of the racing franernity. I don't think they understand the word "relaxed" when it is associated with sailing. The Bolger Micro with its cat-yawl rig has similar (or the same) characteristics as the Core Sound. The rig is easily balanced to windward and can be sailed hands off on a beat to windward in 10-15 knots. She has 400lbs of lead in a low aspect keel which makes her self righting (I've been knocked over with water coming in the scuppers at the beam). She isn't fast and windward ability is hampered in a chop and low wind by a pronounced rocker on a flat bottom. I have her on a mooring and can be off sailing on the harbour in 20 mins. All boats are a compromise to a set of requirements. I am exploring the Core Sound because a want a more weatherly and faster sailboat. I wont waffle on too much about her as this is a B&B forum,

Thanks for the info and questions,

John

Lawrie,

The Belhaven looks to be a well thought out boat and would be a challenge to build. However I'm trying to restrict myself to a length of around 16'. The problem is that there is always another interesting design about 2' longer that has better functionality,

Cheers,

John

gday john - im down on the far south coast (cobargo) and have a cs17 - and very happy with it! at the moment shes in "dry dock" while im fixing a few problems from the previous owner/builder (he didnt stick to the plans!). should have it back in the water by the summer (and would love to sail her on the harbour sometime) - or come down and have a look at a cs17 with the insides removed!

david.newell@cma.nsw.gov.au for correspondance

cheers

dn

• 4 weeks later...