Annie M is for sale.

Tim Diebert

Hahaha. At one time that $2800 would have been about $1650US....but at this mornings exchange rate it works out to $2,477.87US.

One of the reasons I stopped building guitars is the exchange rate stopped being in my favour. I am told the two currencies could be at par in the very near future.

Great job and congrats on the recent launching Greg. That is pretty fantastic stuff.

Hi Jake.

I quit and got a job in March. It was just becoming to hard. As much as I enjoyed the work I also needed to make a living. At the time of stopping I still had a year and a halfs waiting list.

Sold the house and shop and moved to the small city of Kelowna. Everything has been wonderful ever since.

I work for a small well equipped shop that does very high end architectural millwork, period style furniture and built ins. It is a great situation as I do all the best work there and am left pretty much alone to do my work.

I work 40 hours a week and it still feels like a holiday. And I get paid to go sailing on stat holidays. :D

Daphne is going to college in Septemeber and everybody is very happy. Thanks for asking.

I have bought an 1983 Montgomery 17. I have admired these boats a very long time. Was actually going to buy one brand new, but this one popped into sight Wednesday night and I have a deposit on her now. She currently resides in Portland. We will be picking her up this Sunday. We will be driving by your stomping grounds.

Here is our boat....

http://www.hubertdesigns.com/m17/

Nice looking boat! Glad to hear that you major life change is working out well. Sometimes working for somebody else isn't easy. ;)

Hey, look what I just found in Kelowna http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/180131813.html

Just poking through craigslist, seattle when I stumbled on it. :)

Too bad I won't be around on Sunday. :( I would love to meet you and talk in person. I will also be a bit South. :)

Hard for me to imagine all the work you've put in to get her sailing just right -- and then putting her on the market. That Montgomery 17 must be a very special boat. That fixed keel/cb arrangement I expect means the cabin is more spacious, but I suppose your days of beaching to go camping are over.

Hi Jake.

I quit and got a job in March. It was just becoming to hard. As much as I enjoyed the work I also needed to make a living. At the time of stopping I still had a year and a halfs waiting list.

Sold the house and shop and moved to the small city of Kelowna. Everything has been wonderful ever since.

I work for a small well equipped shop that does very high end architectural millwork' date=' period style furniture and built ins. It is a great situation as I do all the best work there and am left pretty much alone to do my work.

I work 40 hours a week and it still feels like a holiday. And I get paid to go sailing on stat holidays. :D

Daphne is going to college in Septemeber and everybody is very happy. Thanks for asking.

I have bought an 1983 Montgomery 17. I have admired these boats a very long time. Was actually going to buy one brand new, but this one popped into sight Wednesday night and I have a deposit on her now. She currently resides in Portland. We will be picking her up this Sunday. We will be driving by your stomping grounds.

Here is our boat....

[url']http://www.hubertdesigns.com/m17/[/url]

I visited Kelowna some 15 years ago, and was very impressed with the town. Very nice people and, at that time, anyway, I could afford the concierge level in the hotel on my per diem! I've forgotten the name of the hotel, but it was great. I flew out of there on a prop plane, and got a good look at the countryside ... extremely pretty place. (We had driven in, and it was beautiful, but there's nothing like a bird's eye view to give you new perspective on a place.)

The Montgomery's are really well-built boats. The M17 was on my short list when I found my Potter 19 (which is really an 18, much closer in size to the M17 than you would imagine). The Montgomery is a much faster, and stronger, boat.

well that is too bad (for me, i enjoy your sailing adventures in Annie M.) and good for you (looks like a great find and better boat for you)....Before you abandon us all together would you share the dimensions for the new headsail and how you set that up?

can we still expect great sailing stories and photos?

a.

well that is too bad (for me' date=' i enjoy your sailing adventures in Annie M.) and good for you (looks like a great find and better boat for you)....Before you abandon us all together would you share the dimensions for the new headsail and how you set that up?

can we still expect great sailing stories and photos?

a.[/quote']

Adla, why would Tim abandon us? :o

....odd, I thought I got an email notice when someone posted to a thread I was watching.

Sorry for the late replies.

Let me see, 15 years ago.....yes, I am quite sure the Grand Hotel was here then. Is that the one Frank? Very nice.

But there are many now. Very high end stuff. Yes, I have always liked this area as well. I spent a lot of time here over the last 20 years because my old home, Grand Forks, was only 2 1/2 hours away. Daphne felt very cut off in the small town and Ktown was her favofavorited trip. I figure we averaged two trips a month here over all those years.

You shouldn't be too unhappy with your area either eh. Nice.

I have loved the M17 for a long time, but never thought I would spend the money.

I have thought about building a new boat, modifying an old one and even was on John Welsfords waiting list to have a custom designed. I think the biggest relief with going this route is knowing I am not going to have to work weekends and evening for two years (take time away from sailing) to just have the boat I want. In my case, if you recall, I make stuff out of wood all day and have done for almost 30 years.....longer if you count all those projects as a kid. :D

Doing more woodwork in my spare time does not appeal to me at all. Maintenance or mods are fine and fun though.

In fact.....I am seriously thinking of a mod to the M17.....I might have the first gaff rigged M17 ever. It is just so hard to beat the ease of setup and takedown with the shorter spar andtabernacle I love sailing the rig and would have it by choice over a pointy head any day. My main concern is doing anything that might devalue the boat or hurt the resale some time down the line. For now we are going to wait and sail through this first season and think about it after.

My web blog will continue on only with a new main character. I will stop by here as often as I ever have. Usually someone emails me if I have been away to long.

As for headsail dimensions, I have just been gathering up used sails and making them fit. It is fast and cheap. As long as a headsail is close on the luff it will work. I have a headsail from a Thistle I have been playing around with. With the new slightly longer forestay it almost fits and requires little mod to work. I am glad I didn't start hacking into the Thistle genny as I am quite sure it will work well on the Monty if I revert back to the stock forestay and remove the roller furled 150 that is on there now.

My stay'sl I cut from an old jib. The Lapper I cut from an old jib. All from other boats. The spinnaker we have been using is a reduced one from a Thistle. Now I wish I hadn't cut that one down as it would be perfect for the M17. Oh well....I have another spinnaker that is quite huge....maybe it will work. When I hoisted this one up to the top of the new mast head on Annie...it was so big I could have draped the whole boat right to the ground.

Jeff. The most fun for me was doing the work and seeing it work out well. I have sailed Annie a lot and a long ways, albiet in shortish amounts.

I have actually wanted another boat almost since the day Annie came to visit. In a way, that is why I messed with the boat so much...to make her into something closer to what I felt I wanted. If the M17 was wood, and rigged properly ( 8) ), it would have represented pretty much what I always wanted. I have admired Lyle Hess's designs since I first saw the Pardy's boat in the Gulf Islands 25 years ago.

The montys keel is only 10-12" deep...I see pix of guys beaching them all the time. It won't beach the same way as a Weekender, but you can be sure we will be enjoying the wild beaches that we are surrounded with for a long time to come.

I am looking forward to having Daphne be comfortable and to have some space....and a real (portapotty) toilet. The new boat provides a way to spend a night or two at anchor...something Daphne has never done.

The most serious compromise to me with the change will be setup time. It worries me. I am shopping for a big anchor right now...and re-reading up on anchoring technique. I see leaving the M17 in a nice little sheltered bay close by. Hmmmm, I see a dingy project coming up. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Tim,

it's very sad to say good bye to Annie M but you'll be happy for sure with the new boat.

I'll hope to read soon some news about a novel construction (a dinghy?).

I'm going to cut the keel of Mezz'acqua as she doesn't tack at all!

Could you send me some last data regarding the measure of the new keel bow to stern?

Bye

Roberto

WOW!! Youve stopped building guitars Tim? bloody hell now thats a bummer :cry:... BUT!! seems on the flip side youve found a good job that you enjoy and everyones happy with the move 8)

The boat? Well I couldnt get either linked page to open up so I will wait till you post some sailing pics :wink: And I also am sorry to hear that your selling Annie M but Im sure you will have some grand adventures in the new lady 8)

Kalowna... that was the town me and Tiff were going to come visit a few years back with athletics if my memorys serving me this morning? beautiful spot from all the info we gathered damned shame all that terrorist and sars stuff happened... ah well maybe one day eh

Take it easy ol mate

Shane