Dyed Sails

adla

I wonder if it would be possible to dye the dacron sails.....i changed the color of my deck and stuff from bright white because the reflection was going to be the end of my eyesight but the sails are SOOO bright and refelctive...they are going to be the end of my skin......

has anyone ever dyed dacron?

a.

Adla, I seem to recall in reading about the process of making dacron sail cloth that a number of steps come after the dying process so I don't know what would happen if you try dying it now. Why don't you take some scraps and try it. I've heard of wood stains being used to dye synthetic 3-strand rope. Maybe that would work on dacron, too.

Or are you thinking some sort of orange and green tie dye sort of thing? :D

By the way, I don't think I told you but I like your tiller and the rest of your boat. You know we'll be expecting you and the rest of yuor privateers to join us for the next messabout on Lake Pepin. It would give you a chance to sail where you can see trees. :D

Dacron doesn't take dye well at all. The white (or other) color is part of the initial thread making process. Virtually impossible to dye or paint. 'Bout the only thing that works is heat set overlays. Or of course sewn on.

But they do take stains when you don't want them to. Just unevenly.

Guest Oyster

Do like Dave did, sell your set, working out a deal with someone that is in the process of the finish build and buy new ones that fits your likes, with the reefing in them, too. Or you could also keep them and add them to your closet like numerous pairs of shoes, and wear them depending on the weather or climate change. :lol:

and the Sultana is just beautiful by the way -

I think Oyster is on to something with the outfit change for Morgaine --- maybe the white would be a better *winter* set of sails....i think i will ask those nice folks at duckworks a few questions when they get back from their vacation....

i've been out of the sun for days and i still lOok liKE a LobSter...i need a better hat - and long sleeve off white cotton t-shirts are on the list....

a.

Guest Oyster

http://www.sportplanes.com/wing.htm

Try some ultralight plane outfits. The wings are made of a simular material. This one advertises 4 oz. sailcloth in purple, as a quick thought from here. I take it that you intend on sewing your own sails? If not, Adla may do the job for you. :wink:

Some place else you can explore would be those suppliers that sell accoustical panel materials for music and sound deadening devices.

just throwing this out here. when I work at the race track I use an old sail that I had for a banner. I had a t-shirt artist airbrush a mural on it for me. looks great and has stayed well over the years of being rolled and unrolled countless times. I don't think I would hesitate to change the entire color on a sail of mine. but then again that's just me. we also put the color back on th eleather suits we repair by airbrushing them. guess for large aeras you could use a regular paint gun? anyone else had any experience ? always the best to all. barnacle bill and darethea

PS hoping to take scraps out and sail with charlie girl II this wked.

Dacron sails are formed using a heat press of resin process that seals the surace. The entire material is a form of plastic so the color has to be put in first and continued with each step in the processing. The only way to change the color is with a mechanical adheasion process such as painting or other mechanical bond. The only was to truly change the color is to get blood all over them, or rust, or mildew.......

Anything you desire will not work.

Oak leaves make quite solid stains on sails, though as has been pointed out the fibers in sail cloth have been "finished" which pretty much prevents stain from penetrating into them. I've spray painted draft stripes on sails that have held up very well, but they didn't have to remain pretty, just be there. I think painting sails would add a fair amount of weight and stiffness to them.

Toss some die on them an then see if you can wash it off. It likely will add some color, that will wear and wash off in time. Maybe it can be an annual part of the maintenance program, dieing the sails the latest fashion mood of the boat.

Maybe some iron oxcide and a big wash tub, for several days.

Guest Oyster

I would actually check around with a few folks that have some torn sails, or even a sailmaker that is willing to part with some scraps. Yea, like junk leftovers you know, stuff that has little use anymore in their shops. :wink:

Then you can experiement without actually taking a serious hit on your new ones, if any of your testing didn't quite turn out the way you had wanted it on the good ones. Yea folks color their hair but the hair can be cut short and will grow back out in most cases, unlike a good set of sails. I bet somewhere around Lake Tahoe would have some canvas shops with the proper weights. If not, I bet some folks in and around some heavy boating areas could locate you some and mail it to you.

i have quite a lot of extra dacron scrap from the reef point exercise...and can name a list of stuff that doesn't work including iodine (what?) .... i haven't tried henna but it is on my list --- actually most hair dye is chemical but uses peroxide (which can be corrosive i think)...but not all do....i shall continue playing around.... air brushing may be in order for the dragon!!!!

i am also looking into shelling out the money for a nice hat with neck covering and some long sleeve white t's....i am not vain but it is really NASTY here in these parts in the sun - one weekend and i look 5 years older which is about 10 years younger than my actual age.....terrible.

a.