Cockpit Sides

Guest Richard Whitney CS Hull #

Guest Richard Whitney CS Hull #

I am getting ready to instal the cockpit bulkheads and sides. Any suggestions on how to easily get the bottoms of the sides to accurately fit the bottom of the inside of the hull

Thanks

Richard

Guest Anonymous

Richard,

I just did this task on my CS20 in the last week. Getting the cockpit sides to fit the hull bottom is easier than I thought it would be.

I built a cardboard template of the side bulk heads. To get rough measurements I ran a straight edge board from gunwale to gunwale, leveled the boat against the straight edge, then using a level took perpendicular measurements from that straight edge reference. This got my template close. After test fitting and trimming the template slightly I used this to get two very nicely fitting wood bulk heads.

I tacked these in with small fillets. I ran wood braces down from my straight edge reference board to keep the bulk heads straight and true while the epoxy set.

When the epoxy had set I installed the stringers that run from forward to aft bulkheads, cutting a notch for a tight fit with the side bulkheads.

THEN, I took measurements from those stringers to the hull, again using the level to keep the measurements true. These measurements need only be close, not exact. When I cut the cockpit sides I wanted to be within about 3/8" of the exact measurement. I then clamped the side boards in place and scribed them to get an exact fit. The keel installation drawing in the CS design package has a good description of the scribing technique. At this point I had cockpit side boards that fit exactly along the bottom of the boat and reached about 3/8" above the stringers. I epoxied the bottoms in place, then used a laminate cut off blade with a pilot on my router to trim the sides to an exact fit with the stringers.

NOTE that my hull flexes as I move my weight around standing in the boat. One of my fillets broke when I stepped to close the joint. A best practice might be to stand outside the boat and fillet and tape the joint that will become the inside of the seat tank, then after that is cured step in the boat and fillet/tape the interior seam.

I installed the stringer between the fore/aft bulkheads. Then installed the mid bulkheads in the side benches...along with the nailers that get glued to them. I then marked the stringer with 1' station lines starting at one corner. Pulled a string line through holes in the fore/aft bulkheads to make sure the stringer was straight and true. Made sure the boat was level both directions. Used a plumb bob and dropped a dimple on the hull bottom from each station mark. Then simply use a stick to measure the height at each station and marked the stick 1,2,3... Draw station lines on your plywood and use the stick to mark the height at each station line on your plywood. Then faired the lines just like you did when you layed out the hull panels. I made no cardboard patterns and it came out perfect.

You can use the same station lines to make your seat tops later.

Joe