CS 17 Sprit Rigging Question

Dale Niemann

Here is a photo of Graham's Green Heron that I took at the WaterTribe race start. I didn't realize my question until recently when I started thinking about the sprit and its rigging.

It appears that a hole was drilled through the sprit to accomodate the line which goes to the sheet block.

Am I seeing this correctly? If so what size should it be? and the line size?

Also, what is the extra block in the middle for?

Thanks

post-181-129497650625_thumb.jpg

Dale,

I rigged my sheets a similar way. A line drilled through the sprit connects the sprit to the sheet block. Simple and reliable.

On Graham's boat the extra block between sprit and sheet block is for the stays'l sheet. On my boat a caribener and block combination clips in a the same location. I unclip the caribener and tack it and the sheet around together, reclipping on the opposite side. Works better for me than rethreading the sheet. Personal preference.

Brent

Don't think so Dale, at least, that is not the way I rig them. I believe the taper on the sprit fits into a small loop atached to the clew or clew cringle and the sheet block also attaches to the same cringle. I use a snap shackle for the sheet. Helps keep the sail under control before and after the sprit is attached and as the sail is rolled up..

I cannot really see your picture. I tryed two things. First, just tied a piece of 5/16 yacht braid around the sprit and tied the block on. Not a good way to do it.

What I ended up with is an eyestrap attaching the block to each sprit. The eyestrap on the mizzen is positioned just above the blocks on the stern which lead the sheet to the cockpit. So far this has worked well for me and is easy to set up.

Dale,

Brent has it right. I have a length of 3/16" line through the sprit just forward of the pin. The pin still goes into the clew loop as Tom said. The reason that I attach the sheet to the sprit is to save me moving the sheet when I reef, in this case when I move the sprit into a reef position the sheet goes with it.

The small block is for the mizzen staysail sheet.

Is there an advantage of having the block suspended from the sprit over having it attached to the sprit with an eyestrap? I did notice on one occasion the sheet seemed to be pulling the sprit down toward the transom. With the last set of adjustments to the rig, that problem disapeared. Just wondering.

I like the block to be attached to the sprit by the line because is saves hardware and fasteners and allows the block to fully articulate when the sails are forward for running or when sheeted in. The downward forces when sheeted in, should be close enough to the same whether using an eyestrap or a piece of line. If anyone wants to use an eyestrap, it would be okay.