A Case for a Nice Flush Elliptical Foredeck Hatch on CS 17

Construction

I kept all the same structural framing Graham has shown in the plans. However, I did widen it slightly because I wanted the hatch opening to be about the same area as his original. The ellipse is a stronger shape by being curved, backplated and beamed.

The measurements I used to create the hatch using the calculator below are fore/aft direction of 6

post-181-129497650507_thumb.jpg

post-181-129497650509_thumb.jpg

Hatch Backplate & Beam

The backplate is necessary for three reasons.

1. Since the foredeck is curved the quarter inch plywood would not maintain its curve once cut out if it was not laminated to an inside backplate.

2. It adds strength.

3. Spreads the pressure generated by the bungee cord evenly around the hatch. The backplate also causes complications in construction because it must be screwed to the deck frame before the deck goes on but in a temporary manner so that when the deck is cut out its support also is cut so the hatch can then be pulled out. Then the temporary supports are unscrewed from the hatch. The backplate is glued to a support beam, which has the same shape as the deck.

post-181-129497650511_thumb.jpg

post-181-129497650513_thumb.jpg

post-181-129497650515_thumb.jpg

post-181-129497650516_thumb.jpg

post-181-129497650519_thumb.jpg

post-181-129497650521_thumb.jpg

wow wow wow ... can't begin to say how much I admire anyone who has the skill to do something like this. Reminded of Ted Turner's comment - 'some people can't tell the difference between a boat and a piano'. (Only rottenly jealous!).

Makes us workboat finish guys pretty green.

Lawrie Searle