Marking sides to match

Tony Pollard

Hello,

I have been reading the posts in the forum for a while now and have learned a lot from the kind people here. I have finally started on a CoreSound 17 (hull #55) after a year of poring over the plans. I am excited about eventually sailing this beautiful boat with my family, and I am also excited about the building process. Thanks to all who contribute their wisdom in this forum.

According to the plans I have done the layout on one side panel, and am cutting out the stacked pieces to get mirror images. I am wondering how to transfer the line for the seat stringer onto the unmarked side without going through the whole layout process a second time. It won't be a problem to mark the bulkead locations because they extend all the way to the edge of the ply, but to make sure the stringer location/curves are identical is a little more difficult. I am OK going through all the layout work on the second side, but would rather not do things that are unnecessary. I figured somebody out there already came up with a very clever idea to streamline this process :)

Thanks for the help!

TOny

I would just stack the panels and run a screw or nail through both panels and that will give you the points needed on the other panel.

Alternately you could extend the station lines to the edge of the marked panel, draw it across the second panel...top and bottom, draw the station lines on the second panel from the marks on the edges. Then measure up or down and mark the points based on your measurements. This is probably a better solution since you will want station lines on all panels anyway for future reference and lining up panels.

Guest Tony Pollard cs17 #55

Thanks Joe...that sounds like a good solution.

I have been following your posts, and I think you are the one who posted the photos of the stitching party??? BTW, I lived in Portland OR for 11 years...I miss the Cascades, but not the rain :-).

TOny

I found it very helpful to screw the two hull halves together while butt joining the sheets and cutting the shapes. By planning ahead the screws could be placed so that they mark the stringer locations.

Another tip for this stage while the sheets are tightly joined together is to use a plane to smooth out any irregularities in the cut line. A smooth fair edge will make a nice joint when it comes time to stitch and glue. Having the two hull halves exactly the same makes for a beatiful symetrical boat.