Aluminum masts

My main mast weighted in at 23 pounds and that is foam filled. The mizzen foamed filled at about 19 pounds. This doesn't include the sail track. Is this good, alright or to heavy?

Nearly half of each ones weight is in the lower 8 foot section.

The tubes were very easy to fill with foam. I did each of the three sections one at a time leaving enough room for the next section to slide in. Then I put them togther.

Scott

This gives me an idea. I have been wondering how to secure the electrical and antenna cables in the mast and have never liked the method of running a conduit and attaching it with rivets. If I put a conduit in and secure it with expanding foam, that might work.

If you use expanding foam anywhere on the boat' date=' make certain that it is of the waterproof, closed cell kind. Most home mixed expanding foams are not.[/quote']

Please define "home mixed". I am unsure what you are referring to.

What I have in mind is the red can stuff used for exterior sealer and it is water proof.

Greg I learned something about the foam in the can :( I had enough marine foam to fill both masts except about the last two feet of the mizzen. So I thought what the heck and added a extension on the spray nozzle and shot the stuff in as I was pulling out the tube. It seemed to work well till I discovered that it was curing VERY SLOOOOOWLY. So like any other American man I read the :oops: directions. It needs moisture to cure. So I was simply moving the foam from one can to another.

Anyway if your ever going to fill the masts with foam use the true marine expanding foam. That suff cured in 15 minutes or so even inside the tubes.

Scott