Wanted to Buy: Core Sound 17 or 20

nsimms

Guest Oyster

I think you are asking for almost a miracle. I think that if there was even one made avaliable, it would not last more than an hour on any given day. One problem is that folks rarely are willing to pay for even a used one for what most folks have in them in materials and 1 dollar per hour labor. There are folks that can build you one, but you must first place a figure on how much you feel that its worth for you to have what you want in a hull. Custom does come with a price, no different than furniture making, or portraits.

If you're interested in having a boat built - Charlie Jones has just annouced the completion of a Core Sound on the B and B forum...

http://www.messing-about.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4587

It looks like he's on to another project but he might be willing to give you an idea of the cost/time involved to have a CS17 professionally built... I have no idea what it costs to build a CS17 since I decided early on it would be a good idea to just forget about each purchase of materials as soon as it happened. :wink:

Plus Charlie has a better idea of how many hours it actually takes to build one of these boats than I do (thus labor cost) - My typical boatbuilding day includes vast amounts of time listening to bluegrass and shooting the, um, "stuff" with an amiable neighbor. :lol: I'm working on the three year plan (this summer for sure!)

I have two projects scheduled to begin in July. One new interior in a 23 and then a commitment to build another Core Sound 17 for a customer.

We are spending this week prepping Tehani for a 4 - 5 week cruise, from here to Florida. We plan to sail offshore direct to P'cola commencing on Sat morning (weather permitting of course) then wander slowly back.

When we return in late June, I'd be happy to work with you on cost figures on a 17. If you will email me about the 1st of July so it won't get lost during that time period, we can work together on it.

• 2 months later...
Guest Jim McCurdy

are you still interested in a used cs17? I am the third owner of Sawdust, Gordy's boat, and may not be in a position to use it for a year or more, and bought plans for a cs17 before I purchased the boat. I have done most needed repairs. pm me or call 770 639 0775

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a Core Sound 17 built by Charlie Jones that I am selling.  Feel free to email me at jyow2@swbell.net or call on my cell: 713-248-7591.  It was built in 2006, includes a 2006 galvanized trailer, reliable outboard, Mizzen Staysail, and cover.  You can see pictures of it on <www.sailingtexas.com> and go to the "sailboats for sale" button. 

Thanks,

John Yow

ps:  I absolutely love to sail the CS 17, but I bought a bigger boat to restore, a 1961 mahogany King's Cruiser 29. 

John Yow

John,

I remember those!  I remember racing (at least we thought we were racing) one through Woods Hole in my uncle's Sailstar Orion. It was beautiful! We were faster.

You should have countless fun hours making it gleam like new. The one I remember had a beautiful black hull and lovely brightwork.

Chad