Raised sails for the first time...

tomstock

Just a quick test to have a peek....

step18a.jpg

I originally set her up for two jib sheets but I think I may go back and install a jib club-foot instead. Seems like it would hold sail shape when heading straight down wind a little better.

Looking good. Just hope for no wind when you do that. :shock:

Club or separate sheets? They both seem to have their pluses and minus'. Straight downwind with my set up (no club), I can let the sail out, install a whisker pole and let 'er rip. If the geomtry is such with the club to do the same, all the better. :)

I have found I do not like the club foot. It's simpler to operate, but I find tacking easier with separate sheets, even if it is an extra couple of lines to handle. The ability to back the headsail while tacking helps keep me out of irons in light air.

I put some bullseyes and spinlock cleats on, and it sure is slick. haul in the leeward jib sheet tight prior to coming about, and let the spinlock cleat hold it. Hold the rudder over, and the jib backfills before the the bow comes through the wind, and pulls the bow around for me. Once the boom come across, I give the cleat a slap and it comes free, and pull in the other jib sheet.

Noel.

Looks good Tom. Almost ready to sail. Cool!

As far as the jib club goes, I'm with Noel. I prefer the two sheet set up. I also find backing the jib is handy when tacking. That's just not an option with the club.

I set up a no hardware attachment between jib sheets and clue which is nice because my wife likes to sit on the foredeck sometimes and she doesn't have to worry about getting smacked by a shackle. I can post pictures if you'd like to see.

Dave, I would like pics or even just a good description would do. I have the three holes in the clew of the jib, I wasn't sure how to tie up the two jib sheets. I thought maybe a short length of line to go into the sail clew holes, with a stopper knot, and then the jib sheets tied to that.

:?:

I also have a question about the clew at the head of the sail where it attached to the gaff. Is there supposed to be an eyebolt in the end of the gaff as an outhaul to keep the sail from slipping down the gaff towards the mast? There is no mention of this in the plans.

thanks!

-tom

Tom, here's some pictures for you. My jib only has one grommet at the clew since the fabric is reinforced.

First, the part of the sail. Simply an eye with a stopper knot.

tm10.JPG

Then the jib sheets. I use the traditional two sheet arrangement but I used a single piece of line. I put a small Alpine Butterfly loop in the middle.

tm11.JPG

To attach the sheets to the jib you simply poke the stopper knot through the loop and then through the eye. It can even be done with one hand. It's about like buttoning a shirt and I've never had it come apart even if the sail is left to flog.

tm12.JPG

Tom, regarding the peak of the main, you do need something for an outhaul. I have a wooden thumb cleat on the end of my gaff. The line from the peak leads around the cleat and then is wrapped around the gaff a few times and tied off.

Excellent, thanks. Peak is also the word I was looking for... wasn't sure what to call that part of the sail. I expect to finish sometime this week, get her registered and launched before the end of the month.

Thanks

-tom

You know, I'm actually driving to Minneapolis tomorrow for my daughter's graduation from the U on Friday. Boat's not ready, and, while it would be fun, I suspect two trips to MN from down here might be a bit wearing.

I'm still targeting Rend Lake, but only if I get her in the water and tested out first. No way am I going to stick her in the water in front of everyone without a rehearsal...no way.

DocA