Weekender update

tomstock

Well, I now own two boats but I have not sailed either!

A friend of mine offered up his AFC 2+2 (17' boat) for sale and I couldn't pass it up. The sad part is that I have not yet finished my weekender. :( The weekender is my first sailboat... which I have been working on for 3 years. The 2+2 will be my 2nd boat.. and first commercial sailboat to insult my weekender by sitting in the same yard, gel-coat blazing away.

The good news is I finally got around to ordering the rope and blocks to replace the cheap hardware store rope and pulleys which refused to play nice on the weekender .

The new rope and bocks were purchased from woodenboat.org and are a great deal. Buff poly and 3/8" pulleys. They are of very good quality and I have no doubts that they will work much better than the rusty, sqeaky, hardware store pulleys and horrible home depot rope.

I am planning to launch the weekender in may! I have it on the trailer and ready to go. I just need to finish the rigging, get some oars, and get the boat and trailer registered.

My plan is to sail the weekender through the summer while restoring the 2+2 as my next project.

It needs some minor work (some damage and a small hole through the glass in the bow when the boat hit the dock), but compared to the amount of work involved in building a boat, it is small potatoes. This boat is going to be for more serious camping and weekend cruising with the family as there is more space and the boat is much more stable. While it is still only 17', it was designed with camping in mind and has a wide beam and plenty of sleeping space. It says 4 comfortably but what I think that really means is 2 with some elbow room or 4 with some complaining :) The weekender will become my fun day sailing boat.

c51c.jpg

e6c7.jpg