Garage doors

Kudzu

I have been working on this off and on for at least 3 months now. Finally got serious about getting them out of my shop. Amazing how much space (4) 4.5' doors can take up!

Short story is we built a traditional Cottage/Arts and Crafts/Craftsman style home. I wanted to details to be very traditional. To the point that people had to ask if it was a new home or a remodel. One of the big things (to me at least) was carriage style, swing out garage doors. I was floored at what it cost so I decided to make my own. And I saved several thousand dollars too!

doors.jpg

Not quite finished but I have them installed and hanging on the hinges!

doors_open.jpg

This is a photo of the door as it opens. 8) I adapted a regular garage door opener to open these doors.

• 5 months later...

Very nice ... we just spent a bundle on fake carriage house doors ... they are actually roll up doors. I think they look like fake, roll up carriage house doors, but my wife likes them, and after 31 years of marriage I know better than to say what I think!

Yours, however, look wonderful. Are you going to rig an opener up to them, or keep them traditional?

Thanks Bob, your advice on loose tenons and how to make do the windows (on another forum) were very helpful. Made what seemed like a hard job easy.

Frank, I came up with some clever door openers. The idea is not original with me but it is still none the less clever.

Here are the details on the doors.

http://www.kudzupatch.com/woodshop/gdoors/