Opinions

Dave R1

Just saw a table that inspired me to draw this one. Looking for opinions.

Legs have a sort of an isoceles triangular section with the base of the triangle being curved. The legs taper toward the bottom. Table is drawn 59.75" long, 16" deep and 33" high. Might narrow the table up a bit to 12" deep. What do ya think?

table.jpg

Yup, looks like a sofa table. Creating a strong joint on the legs (with the triangle) may prove to be a challenge. The ends of the top look a bit long to me; other than that, it is a nice design. More modern than my personal taste leans towards.

I built a sofa table a while back, can't locate any pictures though. Granite tiles were inset as the top. Honduran Mahogany with Padouk inlay on the edge of the tapered legs and around the drawer fronts. It is very similar in design to what you have drawn. Me; I have gotten to where I seldom draw out what I make anymore. Head to the shop with a vague idea and go for it. ;)

Dave, very nice sofa table design. Looks like something Sam Maloof would design, blending elements of oriental design and an almost Shaker /Craftsman look with the exposed joinery. I like the leg detail, and the triangular detail of the legs in the table top is especially nice. I like to see structural details like that, because you know its real wood, and not just another veneered, mdf cored table top.

I think 12" might be more appropriate as a width, unless you have the space for a 16" deep table already set aside. You might have to make it 29 - 30" tall instead of the 33" in that case to preserve the scale; with today's overstuffed, humongous sofas, the 33" height is probably not a problem, but it would be a bit tall as a hallway table or behind a more traditional sofa (if that's the intended use).