Ahoy there old salts!!!

Florin {VACATIONER}

We've been gone for awhile (sorry) on our other adventures (and family matters) but we're back again.

I see most of the "veterans" are still here and happy to see new recruits are building. Glad to see the enthusiasm is spreading by the day.

We're glad to see Adla has launched her boat (congrats!!!) she looks great undersail (and the boat too).

We haven't done much sailing last season (maybe 2-3 times) but we're planning to do much more this year. We would like to buy some real sails this year and do some mods to the rigging which gave us many troubles last year (which is why we didn't sail much).

We are about to finish the 16' stich and glue mackenzie river drift boat in about a month or so and we are really excited to take her down the blue ribbon bow river for some trout flyfishing and camping. Once you get bitten by the boat building bug you can never quit I guess.

Cheers to all

Florin

Guest Oyster
We are about to finish the 16' stich and glue mackenzie river drift boat in about a month or so and we are really excited to take her down the blue ribbon bow river for some trout flyfishing and camping. Once you get bitten by the boat building bug you can never quit I guess.

Cheers to all

Florin

Don't worry about getting sidetracked. We all suffer from the same disorder known as ADD. This abbreviation was stolen by the real world, though, but has some simular meaning to it.

ADD is actually short for "ADDITIONAL BOATS SYDROME". :twisted:

I guess you're right Oyster, we do have the syndrome. Now we need the time and the money hehe.

Still making dust here, have to sand and fair all the fiberglassing on the outside and inside afterwhich we install the gunnels and the furniture.

Not much to do but still seems like a lot of work and a lot of itching. Looking forward to painting and trailer building.

Cheers

Florin

Hey Hoser! I thought the snow snakes got you. Glad to see they didn't. About 83 here today. Wind out of the SW about Force 8. Went out Saturday and almost couldn't get her to turn down wind. First time I ever had to play with the Gaff peak to adjust the power. Kind of neat the way that works. How's Barb and the girls?

Hi Craig,

We did get some pretty big snow snakes around here this winter.

Good to see you're stil on the forum. Sounds like you've got too much wind over there...gotta slow down those hurricanes.

How are you doing??? Still Working hard?

Cheers

Thanks guys for all the replys!!! Sounds to me like I"m just better off to stay with a genny and a regular working jib then. We don't really get into big winds around here (we try to stay away when it storms).

I would really like to be able to get away with one jib, but the one we've made out of tarp according to plans didn't work that well for us. Just by looking at it one could tell it's too small, compared to other sloops on the lake. So maybe if we would have a real one made for us at the right size would improve things considerably.

I will try to stay away from the furler systems altogether then. I will now have to rig up the boat and take some measurements for the sailmakers so that they can design the new sails.

Thanks a lot

Florin

Hi Adla,

had a look at the recently posted pics of your sailing adventure. I am jealous already since we've still got snow on the ground here (in some spots) and you've already gone out sailing. Although I could still go for a good day's spring skiing if I weren't busy building boats :-)

We're still agonising over where to order the new coat of sails. Are yours tarps or dacron??? If they are tarps they look awesome. If they are not they still look awesome.

Keep posting those pics... it makes for good primer for us without so much enthusiasm to get out there on the water.

Cheers

Florin

Hey Florin - those are the Stevenson's sails - they are Dacron and i have the stuff for reef points but haven't yet had the time. if I had been able to shorten sail sunday, i might have ventured into the high wind with the sails down...but it was too windy for my tastes with two newbies ... i am much more likely to behave foolishly when i am by myself. :lol:

thanks for the compliments - i am just glad that towing the boat doesn't really affect the crappy gas mileage that i already get.... :P my average didn't go down on this weekend's outing...so, to tow the boat or not is not really a cost concern. Also - i have a year pass at the National Parks here - and a pass for lake mead so all i do is show a card and drive through. You can bet there will be near year round sailing from me!

morgainebeached.jpg

this pic shows the loose foot - i don't have it optimized for loosening in this photo - it is fixed to an eye...there was too much wind to tie the sail so that it can be adjusted. i did move the jib down to the bottom of the front stay but the club foot bangs against the bits...so, i think i will move it back up. i am not ready to ditch the club foot just yet.

can't wait to see some of the northern boats on the water - i can't believe there is still snow on the ground...

:( yeuck.

a.

That boat looks gorgeous Adla.

I didn't notice any lack of improvement on the gas mileage either. We like BIG TRUCKS 4X4 here in Calgary mostly 'cause we get quite a bit of snow on the ground for too long, so we can't afford to get stuck or be pushed of the street, and we also tow a lot of heavy C-rap. So towing a 1Klb boat on a 1Klb overbuilt trailer doesn't bother anyone... go big or go home!!!

I have to admit I really dislike the clubfoot too. We did build a new larger jib last summer and had the same problem with the clublumber hanging on the bits which to say the least was annoying most times. I would really like to get a good size jib, maybe not a genoa, but something definitely a lot larger than the one in the drawings. Tell you the truth when I first looked at the boat when I got her rigged up with the sails in my front street I've had a vision of a really fat person wearing a Speedo (due to the small jib) and that's just wrong.

Then when we sailed her she just didn't want to handle very well when coming about... we would always get stuck in the irons (as opposed to the little plastic sailboats we used to rent from the sailing club). So we did get a bit frustrated and disapointed because of this.

Hopefully with a new and improved coat of sails we will be able to fully enjoy her this season. BTW, the clublumber is going this season.

Enjoy the sailing, catch lots of fish and take lots of pics.

Cheers

Florin

Guest Oyster
Keep posting those pics... it makes for good primer for us without so much enthusiasm to get out there on the water.

Deal, and in conjunction with motivation, I read another casual comment that is fitting to the moment by Barry.

Ain't nothing more wonderful than Messing About in boats.

Unless it is spending time with a close friend...

Dateline, April 23, 2006, a real trifecta with being on the water with a very special friend, wonderfull weather, ideal winds. She is also learning how the boat handles, taking the helm for a few moments of down wind running. It was about 15 to 18 knots.

Good to see you back, Florin. We missed you. I like your plans for the new season. It is really nice when you can "play" with the boat and see how the different configurations of sail make her go.

We have been sailing a lot over the winter in the big boat, but not much in the dinghies. Now that the water has warmed up a bit, we are gegettinghe Hobie out and sailing her. I will be putting the Spindrift 10N into the wooden boat show over at Pirate's Cove next week and we will probably sail her in the little regatta at the show.

It is really good to see all of the Northern Hemisphere folks emerging from hibernation.

Steve