A Plug for Sails

Dave R1

Just thought I'd put in a good word for Duckworks sails if I may. I decided this year that I want to replace the polytarp sails on my Weekender with dacron sails. There's really nothing wrong with polytarp except I didn't like the way the jib looks after having been rolled up on the furler.

I looked at Sailrite and thought about sewing them myself from a kit. I even got a quote on them. Problem is, I don't have a lot of time to be sewing sails along with the other stuff I want to do to prep the boat for sailing. (Not to mention the huge monitor installation we have coming up this spring at work.)

The Duckworks sails worked out to about $50 more than buying the sail kits from Sailrite. These are properly made sails, too. The seams are straight and everything.

Anyway, the DW sails arrived on Saturday, about 3 weeks before I was looking for them to come, and they are beautiful. I ordered tanbark which should make for a nice look with the colors of my boat. It'll also make the boat stand out a bit from most of the other boats on the lake. Well, except for John Metzner's happy yellow sails. He must have the most cheerful boat out there anywhere.

So, if you are thinking about ordering sails for your boat, Weekender or otherwise, give Duckworks a try. And Chuck's customer service is unsurpassed.

Now I need to figure out what to do with my old sails. They only have 3 seasons on them. I wonder if I should use the main to make a bimini?

Ok - as long as we are saying nice things about duckworks - I ordered the ss twist shackles from them, some sail twine, and the Dacron for my reef points recently. I got an immediate email and the stuff arrived very QUICKLY and it was everything I wanted. I'd do business with them again - anytime!

a.

Yep- Chuck and Sandra are great folks and work hard to make the site and store as good as it can be.

First pic is Chuck and Sandra's Ladybug, with Laura, Chuck and myself sailing her for the very first time off Magnolia Beach.

Second picture is Sandra holding the boat while Chuck fiddles inside with something. Taken at the pass into the gulf from Matagorda Bay, 4th of July 2004.

Chuck built the boat and the sail is , of course, from Duckworks :lol:

post-36-129497648568_thumb.jpg

post-36-129497648573_thumb.jpg

Don't know how effecient it is, but that rig seems to be almost perfect for a sailing dingy. Three spars of nearly equal length that will stow in the boat. Easy to setup with just a halyard and mainsheet, can be reefed down and unlike a sprit rig that goes to the top of the leech, supports itself if winged out on a downhill run. And a low center of gravity for an unballasted boat. If it will go to weather, whats not to like?

That Ladybug is a pretty neat little boat. She's JUST over 14 feet and C & S camp cruise her. They drape a tarp over the downed mast, pull the side seats together and lay out the bed.

Here, in no particular order , are some pics of the boat in various setups, including with the masts off, masquerading as a power skiff.

She's designed by Jim Michalak and is a single leeboarder.

I've seroiusly considered building one this coming winter.

post-36-129497648577_thumb.jpg

post-36-12949764858_thumb.jpg

post-36-129497648583_thumb.jpg

Dave,

We are looking for a reliable sailmaker as well. We've had enough of the tarp sails. Last year we've had the darned things rip on us while on a vacation on the first day, needless to say we couldn't enjoy the sailing for the rest of the vacation which put us off of sailing for the rest of the season Basically we've put the boat away for good last july.

We are now at the point where we either get real sails or we never bother with the boat again. Oh, in case you are wondering we have built a Vacationer which we've launched two seasons ago (and we love her too).

My main issue is that we want to find someone reliable, fairly quick on delivery, and good (for a reasonable price). I am not looking for the rock bottom deal but good sails are a must. Since you say you are very happy with the Duckworks sails, and they sound like are quick, quite reasonable in price as well, would you mind posting their web address so that I could get in contact with them?

Thanks.

BTW... any tipson ordering would be great...

Cheers

Florin

Welcome back Florin,

Been wondering where you had gone to.

'Have you contacted the Stevensons about their Vacationer sails? They are made by Rolly Tasker sails if my memory serves me and are good quality sails. About the only thing that you might want different than what they offer is to have reef points sewn into the main and that can be done by almost any local sail loft inexpensively.

They did have them instock but I would think it would be worth your while to contact them.

There are several parties that i know of that have used sails from Duckworks. Dave's is the only Weekender that I'm aware of however.

I've had a number of friends use the following and all of them have been extremely happy with his sails.

http://www.dabblersails.com/index.html

Thanks Barry for the reply,

Good to see you're still here!

I did not contact the Stevensons just for the simple reason that since I've done some mods to the boat and rigging the sails may be (will be)somewhat different size than stock. I do believe they only offer stock sails as far as I can remember. Also we weren't happy with the size of the jib and we decided we'll go with a larger one i.e. maybe a jenny or maybe something somewhat smaller than that. Either way we'll have to have a furler for that probably.

We don't have a sail loft locally (that I am aware of) so the sails would have to be ready to go when they arrive, nor do I want to start cutting into expensive sails for I have no clew (pun intended) what I am doing when it comes to sailmaking.

Thanks for the link, I'll e-mail these guys as well and see what they have to say.

BTW, I have a Vacationer, not a weekender.

Thanks again

Florin

Guest Oyster

I used this company, and worked well by e-mail for my one off boat, even deciding the fabrics, sending me samples long before any order was taken. We made some changes and additions with the original jib sizes, all by e-mail, and when the sails arrived on time, as was projected, the quality was second to none and was exactly what I ordered. They were timely in returning e-mails and any phone calls that were made. Grant seems to be the one that handles communications.

http://angelispress.com/TMR/Issues/aug02/aug02art4.html

Gambell & Hunter Sailmakers, 16 Limerock Street, Camden, ME 04843, 207.236-3561; Pope Sails & Rigging, 237 Park Street, Rockland, ME 04841

Welcome back, also.

Af Florin, good to see your trident and good to see you back.

As far as the Duckworks sails, ordering is easy, you just put in the area of the sail and enter the type and so. If there are any special requirements, put them in the comments section when you order. Chuck will get in touch with you for more details such as the dimensions.

I made an electronic drawing of the sails showing the dimensions as shown in the plan and one using a couple of dimensions and angles as given and letting the program figure the others. There was a bit of a difference for the Weekender.

I imagine though you can give Chuck the dimensions as a list and his sailmaker can figure them out.

Florin,

Yes, I know you have a Vacationer. Been following its progress since you started it with much interest. 8)

My observation about Duckworks and Dave's Weekender was that he is the only one from this group that I know of so far that has gotten sails from them.

My personal opinion is very much the same as Charlie's and Dave's, they are fine people and I don't think you could go wrong with ordering from them.

I would consider a "Luffwire Furler" sewn into the luff of the sail and mounted just behind your forestay. Tension is controlled by the jib halyard. A lapper (fill the area to the foward shroud) would make a nice addition. Good until you would need to reef down the main. Then a smaller (Standard size) jib would be inorder. It too could be on a luffwire and you chould just change them out easily wile under way.

The middle sized Harken luff wire furling system would handle it beautifully.

Guest Oyster
would consider a "Luffwire Furler" sewn into the luff of the sail and mounted just behind your forestay. Tension is controlled by the jib halyard. A lapper (fill the area to the foward shroud) would make a nice addition. Good until you would need to reef down the main. Then a smaller (Standard size) jib would be inorder. It too could be on a luffwire and you chould just change them out easily wile under way.

I did just this with the sewn wire in the jib. A quick point of note, probably a really dumb comment, but here goes it, is with the forestay line to the top of your mast must just be secure, and not completely stretched, to allow for you to maintain the tension on the wire, with play in the distance between the roller and the top eyelet of the sail, allowing you to tighten up the jib, in most occasions, keeping the belly out of it. This was achieved by establishing the distance at the bottom of the luffwire to the cranse iron or however its connected, giving the added play and spacing there.

Thanks again for the help guys, I did contact Chuck and he replied promptly (as I was warned). I now have to provide him with the measurements which is kinda difficult since I have my boat stored away for the season, but will get her out soon. Plus I wanted to lower the boom about 6" or so to allow for some mods on the gooseneck setup. I am still debating between getting a genny and a regular jub.... I was thinking about getting both but I really don't wanna have to change sails on the water... Not much room on the bowsprit and I'm worried my arse is gonna end up in the drink while trying to change jibs (not good). Furler sounds good but I really don't think I want to add an extra jibstay up there. Could it not be done on the forestay????

Thanks

Florin

Yes, it can be done instead of the forestay. However, then you must leave it inplace so that you do have a functional forestay. The obvious advantage to having it set just behind the forestay is that you can change it ouf. Genoa, standard jib or storm sail all with sewn in luff wire that is eaily changed out on the furling spool. Simply adjust the tension with the halyard.

Lots of options with this type of system. Genoa on furling, with seperate sheets. Standard jib on furling with either clubfoot and self tending, or seperate sheets. You can put a couple tracks on the ouside rails so that you can have adjustable blocks for the Genoa or standard jib.

No hanks to deal with to change sails. Simply pull a pin and slip on a new one.

If it is going forward to the bowsprit that is the concern, (and it is for me anyway), Having the furling system is a real blessing.

Yeah, that's why I would like to have a genoa on a furler... then I wouldn't have to have any other foresails to change... just furl it in and you've got a storm jib or whatever size jib you'd like. and since it never has to come off for exchange, why bother with another jib stay??? Am I missing something here? I'm just trying to avoid adding more rigging and trying to keep things simple if possible.

Thanks

Florin

These are furling systems, not reefing systems for the headsail. They are designed to either be set fully or furled fully. If I am reading what you are saying, you would want to use a partially furled Genoa as a smaller jib or stormsail. Nope! :lol:

What I am talking about is a simple luff wire furling system with a small diameter wire sewn into the luff of the sail(s). It has a thimble on either end of the luffwire that is attached via a pin to the small spool on the bottom and to a swivel on the top which is attached to your halyard. Very simple to rig and use. Single light duty line from the spool to the cockpit. When you unfurl the sail by pulling on either sheet you set it and at the same time you are winding up the furling line on the spool.

The Harken Small Boat luffwire furling system (435 or 436), Schaefer System 559, RWO or others. Just a spool with a swivel in the bottom of it, and a swivel to mount at the head of the sail. No tubes or grooves.

For a combination furling/reefing system, you need a hard channel system with heavy duty bearings and a system that is designed to take the loads of a variety of different loads.

You could purchase several of the luffwire systems for the price of a so-so reefing/furling system. And most of them are not designed to work so well on a trailerable boat that is rigged and taken down all the time.

I've sailed on a number of boats that have two sets of luffwire furling gear mounted and ready to go. They have two seperate attachments points, one just behind the other on the bow or sprit and the smaller of the two headsails is on the rearmost furler. it is all setup to go but laid out on the deck. When you want to switch from the Genoa to the smaller jib or stormsail, you just drop the genoa and leave it laying on the deck furled and attach the halyard to the top of the smaller sail and hoist it. Switch the sheets to the smaller sails clew and you are ready to go.

CDI is the only one I'm aware of that lives well with raising and lowering the mast. The CDI has a flexible plastic type foil with two grooves. It goes over your headstay and uses it's own halyard, not the one on the boat.

MacGregor has been using them for years and they work very well, even reefed.

But they aren't particularly cheap.