Graham, any input on mast building on scale

Guest Joe, The Deep Boatbuilder

Hey Graham, Wes is building a new P-22 to replace the one he stepped on, You Know, the one I built. Anyhow, I was stumped in my build for waht to do for amast. T6 6061 aluminum tubinmg just doesn't scale down readily you know.

Wes is talking about soda straws kifed from McDonlads, and I said "Whoa, this is my life your kidding about here"

Personally I think he was yanking my chain, but anyhow how would I come up with appropriate scantlings and materials choices for something I can be reasonably safe in if a blow comes up unexpectedly.

Hey Joe, Carla and I have really enjoyed your adventures on this forum and I am glad that you and Wes have made amends.

I think that you were a little presumptuous with the soda straw mast thing. I know that Wes would have gone more upscale than that, the fir dowels will be perfect.

I've seen Aluminum (aluminium, whatever :) ) extrusion and tubing at hobby stores in bunches of different sizes. The wood dowels would be good for masts but if you wanted to go high-tech there are other materials available. As a matter of fact if you want to get all 21st century about things you could take a broken fishing rod and make some pretty slick tapered carbon-fiber masts.

Oh no... I think I'm becoming a modeler! :lol:

Well I was pretty sure Wes was yanking my chain about the soda straws, but when he started mumbling about reinforcing them with pipe cleaners and epoxy, welll, I sarted getting nervous.

I do like that idea about using fishing pole sections. Lighter weight aloft, one piece tapered masts, lighter weight for easdier stepping and unstepping, and ability to bend off in the puffs.

I don't post much here, but I actually have a little experience with this one. I have a radio-controlled Victoria that needed an upgrade on the rig. I made the spars out of arrow shafts from the sporting goods store. They come in a variety of materials and diameters so you can actually build nested-tapered masts in the same fashion that Graham suggests for his aluminum masts.

Arrow shafts are a very clever idea. I used to work for a gigantic sporting goods store here in town. I'll bet their archery department still has some broken arrow shafts they'd be willing to give me. I'll have to check into that. Thanks for the suggestion brigait1.

Oh Man! Arrow shafts are so much cooler an idea that mine! Go to a local gun club (at least around here archery is included in a gun club) and post a little note on the bulletin board saying you'll pay a dollar for a broken or bent arrow shaft.