Core Sound boats

Guest DoryJoe

Guest DoryJoe

What is a Core Sound 17 in terms of boat design. I have had several people ask me that and I did not have a ready answer. Is it a Sharpie, dinghy, etc. or just simply "a pretty neat boat."

May be Graham has some thoughts.

Joe

I would consider it a sharpie with vee hull. Most of the traditional sharpies had a flat bottom. The most recent isssue of Wooden Boat gives some historical perspective to the Core Sound history. Although the ariticle is mostly about power boats. I would assume that the early core sound sailboat followed a simular path.

Cat ketch, vee hull sharpie, open daysailer. It's hard to decribe because there are not a lot of simular boats to reference.

Mike Alford wrote a nice article on Core Sounders (which are generic workboats that evolved in this area) in this months Wooden Boat magazine. Core Sound is 25 miles long running northeast from Cape Lookout to Cedar Island. It is very shallow and the prevailing sou wester can kick up quite a chop.

Core Sound is part of the course in the Great Race and I tried to design a boat that would excel in those conditions hence, the name.