New Guy Question

Blacksmith

i have been lurking for a bit, not sure if I should ask anything as I have been burned in the past. Seems like a somewhat civil bunch, so I will give it a try.

Steering. What type do you recomend, and why? Cable and drum or Teleflex push pull.

Thanks,

Blacksmith

Hi and welcome to the group. We are indeed a civil bunch so don't be worried about asking questions.

As to steering are you asking about it for a Stevenson boat or something else? I can't answer if you're asking about some other boat but I can tell you what I did for my Weekender.

The plans call for a rope wrapped around the steering shaft and lead out to the sides, around blocks and back to a stub tiller. The steering shaft is wood. I replaced the steering shaft with a 3/4" steel shaft (part of a buffing mandrel assembly) that is supported by two pillow block bushings (also from the buffing mandrel). I put a sprocket on the shaft and one on either side to take a length of #40 roller chain. The sprockets on either side are used to make sure the chain can't slip off the one on the shaft.

The ends of the chain are attached to a length of cable that runs around the block and to the stub tiller.

I'm sure the #40 chain is plenty heavy for my little boat but it's what I could get sprockets for at the farm supply store. It is bullet proof though. I have a couple of drawings of my steering system if you want to see them.

Dave

Guest Oyster
i have been lurking for a bit' date=' not sure if I should ask anything as I have been burned in the past. Seems like a somewhat civil bunch, so I will give it a try.

Steering. What type do you recomend, and why? Cable and drum or Teleflex push pull.

Thanks,

Blacksmith[/quote']

I think if you have been lurking about here and noticed a bit more civility existing here, then you have also put to rest your concern, receiving replies with simply asking questions? :wink: We have a fulltime staff member watching about, but all active posters, to date, adhere to a strict code of friendliness and courtesy. So with that said, your boat, application, location of use, protected or open water, and yes pictures are a big help on most all issue oriented requests, on message, to receive informed opinions in almost all boards, that deal with boats and boat problems, such as this board. Every now and then, some razzing takes place, especially if you subscribe to sandpaper exciting you more than Monday night football. :lol:

You can add pictures by just uploading them from your computer in the attachment section of your reply, or by shots loaded to picture sites located on the the internet such as Photobucket. Imagestation does not link to the board on a fulltime basis.

Welcome to the forum Blacksmith,

Could you fill us in a bit on what boat you are asking about. A little about your background and location and general useage for your boat. Since the forum is broadening its interest base we see a few more people asking about things and we'd either like to help or learn something along the way too.

There are some contributors that have more extensive backgrounds in design, building and maintainence that have had to deal with selection issues for various areas. Steering being one of them. Most all of our regular contributors are building or sailing in Stevenson's designed boats and the systems are generally simple tiller or simple steering wheel/rope systems.

So don't be bashful, just hop on in and we'll see if we can help.

Welcome, Blacksmith,

I don't have an answer for your steering question, but with regard to your other comment about civility... you've stumbled across one of the only online forums I've found where rudeness is never the rule OR the exception.... I have yet to see anyone be anything short of generous with their comments here, and I hope you'll come to value this forum, as I do, as one of the best little boat-building communities online. No hyper-defensive preachers or overzealous devotees of particular methods... just a lot of kind, level-headed contributors who love messing about in boats. It hardly needs stating, but this really is an outstanding forum of folks. So welcome to the family! If they put up with me, I'm sure they'll welcome you. ;)

OK, I may be a bit hyper sensitive. No, I am a bit hyper sensitive. Sorry about that and thanks for the understanding. As I said, I have been lurking, and have never found any nasty or hurtful replies. It's a long story... She was tall, flaxen hair....Nope, wrong story :D

I have a daughter with CP, and the things that I have been told about why she has CP, and the things said about her have made me a touch devensive.

My daughter and I are building a Micro Trawler and a Pram. I am doing the work on the trawler, she is building the pram. We plan on using them on Lake Superior and other local inland lakes. I live in NW Wisconsin, where it is still about 15 degrees at night. Makes it hard for the epoxy to set up. And I am anxious to get back to work.

I got the hull done in October. Built the trailer over the real cold weather, and had a bunch of folks over one afternoon and we flipped the hull onto the trailer. I am starting on the bulkheads, and was looking at the stuff I NEED to buy. My wife and I have a difference of opinion on what is a need and a want. One of the things I do need is steering. I have seen some boat plans that call for a drum and cable set up, and ones that call for a Teleflex system. I am leaning toward the Teleflex, but was wondering if there was an advantage to the drum and cable. They cost about the same, soooo... is there any advantage to one over the other.

Thanks

I saw a hit on rude people and figured I should log on to defend myself. To my relief it was a misfire.

There are a number of steering systems available (I'm assuming powerboat) and it boils down to price, feel, force feed back and power.

The drum, pulley and cable systems are about the simplest going after a tiller. The parts are easily available and assembly is easy to understand. In small craft, it's the way to go. It's also the least costly, but also the most prone to breakage or jams. It provides pretty good feel if the cables are adjusted properly, but lacks power and can transmit lots of unnecessary information to the helm.

Next you get into the non-power assisted mechanical cable systems, which fall into two types; rack and pinion or rotary. Most of the lowest priced units will transmit torque back to the helm, but NFB (No Feed Back) systems are available that will isolate the engine torque. Both types of units work very well and are long lived. Space behind the helm (gauge panel) can be saved with a rotary unit in tight fitting locations. I've personally found rack units that worked fine 40 years after installation, grease still in the rack, etc.

A step up from these are the hydraulic systems and I'll not go over them as you didn't mention it, they are great, but much more costly.

If interested in a budget system for a boat under about 60 HP then use the Teleflex "Safe-T-Quick" (rotary) or their "Rack" systems. They cost about a buck and a half, include cable, clamps, helm, you provide a wheel and link arm.

The other option is cables, pulleys, fair leads and a rotary helm, which is a good bit cheaper, but a lot more parts of less reliability.

Hey Blacksmith welcome!

I've used the "Teleflex" Safe-T ll with no feedback with a 50 hp for 2 years. It works very well. The no feedback has a clutch buit-in so that when you let go of the helm or don't apply pressure the boat tracks straight. When you apply pressure to turn, the clutch dissengages. There is no fighting the helm or keeping constant pressure to the left while going straight. I think it was about $200.

Hi Blacksmith ... welcome to the forums! I've always wondered why we don't get more people building Bolger boats. I like quite a few of his designs, and then also dislike some of his others from the asthetic standpoint! But a guy that designs the HMS Rose to modern CG specs has to be a genius. And he certainly thinks out of the box, which has allowed probably more amature boat builders to start with their own projects than anyone else. So I like him, and the builders are always welcome here.

If this image shows up from the common-sense-boats.com site, the others can see the design:

mtpic11.jpg

I think its one of Bolger's better boats; a micro-trawler indeed, with two 6' bunks, planing ability, and pugnacious tug boat looks. And all that in a length just shy of 15'. We'd love to see pics of your progress, and your daughter's pram ... feel free to make a couple of photo albums in our Gallery section if you like.

Cool looking little boat Frank, hey blacksmith, does the design your building look anything like that? defiantly have to post some pictures of both boats.

Ok gang, for those of you in the know...Is there a link so we scope out what blacksmith is building?

Is the pram going to be multifuctional? sail, row and power?

Guest Oyster

Last week we were out and about in the little skiff and ran across a fellow sitting on the beach, bow foward, changing his registration numbers. I did not understand why a trailer sailor was doing that in the water, on a major waterway, but stopped and spoke a few minutes with him. He wasa a bit taken back with someone asking about it and knowing much about a Bolger design. . He had built his house carrying it all the way back and had a mighty fine standup cabin with screen sides off of a hardtop. That was a real neat layout. He also has a 2hp. Honda engine for it.