Using BoatLife caulk as an adhesive??

Kudzu

Working on a set of garage doors for my house. I have the frames built and I am ready so sand and paint. Then I am going to install bead board plywood for the panels.

inplace_test.JPG

I have routed out a rabbit in the panels for the panels. I was thinking of just 'gluing' the panels in with BoatLife. That seals the opening and keeps any water from getting behind the panels and it should flex enough to allow for any swelling on the doors.

Anything I am missing? Why this won't work out well??

I've been watching your progress on these doors elsewhere. I think they are going to look great.

I'm not so sure you'll have much movement to worry about, though. The plywood shouldn't do much. The stiles might move a little but probably won't be much trouble.

I'd be inclined to either buy and use some Space Balls (little silicone balls used for spacing panels) or add a few blobs of silicone around the panels and then use the caulk over everything.

You mentioned rabbets but I'm confused as to where they are. Panels or frames? How are you actually planning to hold the panels in place? I don't think I'd count on the caulk to hold them. How about using some finish nails like glazier's points to hold the panels in and then filling the seams with the caulk.

Now, if you want to just glue them in, how about using 5200?

Edited to add: If you only use caulk to hold the panels in, what would keep someone from pushing the panel in to gain access through the door?

I rabbited the frames. So the plywood sits down into the frame. They are not deep enough to put a wood strip behind the panel. That is my first choice.

Brads or points could work but they are not going to stop anyone from kicking in the panels either. Glueing them in wouldn't stop that if they really wanted to get in. I could install them and then caulk, but there is more chance of a leak. Thats why I was thinking to just bed the panels in caulking. Less likely hood of problems down the road. The caulking should have as good as grip as anything except glueing them in place.

As for 5200, sure it would work great. Just if I ever did have to replace a panel for any reason there is no way to remove 5200. No solvent (unless that has changed) and then I am just about faced with making a new door. Boat life can be removed, not easily but it can be removed.

I have thought on this for a while now and I don't see a better option. I don't see a downside either but there may be one. I guess I am just going to have to be pioneer and try it. :lol: