P22 construction & modeling

wkisting

Jake & Wes,

Modeling.

After having used 1/64" for the hull sheathing and 1/32" for the bulkheads and seeing Wes's model, I think the next time around I would use 1/32 for the hull sheathing and 1/16" for the bulkheads.

I guess we should ask Joe his preferences too. Joe what do you recommend?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to use door skins. They were strong enough for this use and also quite flexible for a model about 24-36" in length. And of course they come in a lot of different woods too. I found that I could get a door skin for less than purchasing that nice birch ply at the hobby stores.

Also the basswood sheets work well and come in a whole lot of different thickness and dimensions.

Well, I started painting the interior of the model, but can't post any pics yet because I ran out of white paint. Arrrgh. The can was almost empty, I guess, so I'll have to pick up a new one tomorrow--can't install the berth tops, etc. until the insides are coated.

Been playing with rounded stern ideas a little more... here's a sample of the "pinky stern" style rounded end I referred to in a much earlier post (not sure if I'm using the "pinky stern" term correctly, though... so no one shoot me if I'm saying it wrong) ;)

Here's the 3D mock-up... Now the design waterline is un-altered insofar as it ends at the original transom, then rises abruptly and sweeps back to form the round-end. If I went this route, I would mount the rudder on a shaft through the round, so the rudder blade would end up in essentially the same location (just on a shaft instead of pintles & gudgeons) so as to avoid altering balance. Then, of course, I'd have to shift the ballast forward a bit to compensate for the added weight to the tail.... wonder how this stern shape would handle in a following sea? Looks cool though.

a little detective work at Joe the Deep Boatbuilder's website will reveal his alter-ego

Frank' date=' The website listed for Joe is mine (www.roguepaddler.com/princess.htm), and of course I did write the original article about Joe the builder (which the website points to). But I'm not the person logging on as "Joe the Deep Boatbuilder" if that's what you're suggesting. That's why I guessed it was Oyster, which apparently I was wrong about... and I sincerely hope I didn't offend him by guessing so... I was just speculating and didn't see any harm in it.

[/quote']

Uh oh ... not sure I like this then. "Joe" is your creation, so anytime you want it stopped let me know.

Thanks, Frank... seems harmless enough. Joe is becoming a mini-celebrity here, so I suppose it's only fitting that his personality run away wildly as the celebrity goes to his head. ;)

More concerning to me is that some of you were willing to suspect I would actually carry on such a long, schizophrenic conversation with myself! I mean, seriously... I may be weird, but I don't seem THAT weird, do I? :) (Hmmmm... don't answer that!)

Okay, so if Chick's P22 had a round-stern....

Guest Joe, The Deep Boatbuilder

a little detective work at Joe the Deep Boatbuilder's website will reveal his alter-ego

Frank' date=' The website listed for Joe is mine (www.roguepaddler.com/princess.htm), and of course I did write the original article about Joe the builder (which the website points to). [/quote']

Uh oh ... not sure I like this then. "Joe" is your creation, so anytime you want it stopped let me know.

Oh Man oh Man. Wes Created me? No Frank. I was created by Mr Mattel tm. Wes just gave my first taste of publicity.

Don't give Wes any ideas. Now that he finds the binding and gagging didn't silence me don't cut off my web access.

I need my Public.

Hey Wes, since we aren't talking face to face much right now, I sent you a private message.

Let's make amends, We go backk too far and have been through too much to allow this to fester.

I think the world of you Man, ever since you first brought me home from the store. That shelf was soo lonesome.

Guest Oyster
Frank, The website listed for Joe is mine (www.roguepaddler.com/princess.htm), and of course I did write the original article about Joe the builder (which the website points to). But I'm not the person logging on as "Joe the Deep Boatbuilder" if that's what you're suggesting. That's why I guessed it was Oyster, which apparently I was wrong about... and I sincerely hope I didn't offend him by guessing so... I was just speculating and didn't see any harm in it.

Quick comment here. leave me out of your inuendos and comments. I have a sense of humor with most all folks here. but not with alter egos and sock puppets on the internet anymore. :evil: :evil: Whatever your motive is here, I am not concerned with, only with your premise that associates me with such off topic nonsense that seems to continue here. Its very easy for me to log off, and wil do that, but also sad to see that we are not sure who we are dealing with now,. Outta here. :evil:

Joe's hidden voice here speaking.

My most sincere apologies Oyster if I have caused any annoyance.

The rogue paddler website Fetauring Joe's build certainly has seemed to capture many peoples imagination, and I was helping to carry the ball forward providing some humor in and amidst the valuable boat and model building information.

At no point did I intend to cxause anyone annoyance or irritation.

To the extent it has, I sincerly offer my apologies.

I will categorically state that Oyster is not the secret poster.

It is indeed amongst one of the top twenty posters on this list.

If Wes or Frank is uncomfortable with any continued such action I will cease immediately.

If any members wish it to stop Please let Frank know. I love this list and would not wish to cause any division.

I will hold off on any further posts untill I get a sense of what Frank, Wes and atoher members would prefer.

Now back toi your regularly scheduled Joe.

Oyster,

Since your post is directed at one of my quotes, I can only assume you're talking to me... I don't understand the nature, depth, and abruptness of your irritation.

I already apologized for suspecting you. I didn't accuse you of anything... I just asked if you were the person posting as "Joe" because, as I explained, you happened to post a message right before (or right after) each of "Joe's" posts. Your replies were so short and cryptic that I wasn't sure if you were actually saying yes or no--and when I asked you to clarify one of your statements, you declined to comment at all.

When I did realize you were offended, I was quick to apologize, and quick to clarify that I was wrong. I see now, that it must have been mere coincidence for your posts to be adjacent to Joe's. I don't see, however, in what way I have subjected you to "inuendos and comments," or anything worse than a very benign case of mistaken identity.

All subsequent references to your name have ONLY come up in the process of apologizing and explaining that you and Joe are NOT connected. Even the quote you just cited from Frank is a repetition of one of my posts clarifying that fact. And, in fact, the discussion has moved on quite far from that topic anyhow, until now, when you re-quote it. (Frank only re-quoted it to make his reply coherent... not to re-hash the matter)

So again, and for the last time, I am extremely sorry that I ventured a guess at all, and that it offended you to this extent. That is the last I will say on this issue. I apologize to Frank and Graham that this has eaten up as much space as it has--certainly, I didn't expect any of it.

Back to modeling everyone!

Well, picked up a can of spray paint and coated the interior, then used some adhesive wood-grain contact paper to "bright finish" the berth tops and the cabin sole. Starting to look much spiffier now.

The inspector in the photos is named Missy. She's a whopping four pounds, but she has a ton of love for boats. I get the nagging suspicion that she's eyeing this model for herself... it's almost the right size... hmmm....

Missy has become something of a celebrity on the Internet. Long ago, I wrote an article for my website about a custom-fit PFD (lifejacket) I made for her, and I still get letters from Chihuahua fans all the time. Pretty funny. Here's the link if you're wondering:

http://www.roguepaddler.com/dogpfd.htm

Perhaps she and Joe should do a feature article together. :)

The cockpit seats are in. I gave her only two hatches. I'll probably just sketch in the other hatches (the hatches that would be in the lazarette area and in the bridge deck) in ink, instead of actualy building functional hatches like the two you see in the cockpit seats or the one in the forward V-berth porta-pottie area. (Hmmm... anyone know where I can get a scale model of a porta-pottie?) It was hard getting a nice fit for the cockpit seats out of a single panel, and I would really kick myself if I messed it up trying to cut a few more hatch openings.

Also, I finished the inside of the cabin bulkhead bright now too. I was going to paint it white, but since the cabin ceiling will be white and the cabin sides (around the windows) will be finished bright, it made sense that the bulkhead should be bright too.

This is probably going to be the color scheme I use if I build the real Princess 22, so I've been trying to think it out carefully as I go... trying to work in as much white into the interior as possible, so I don't end up with cabin like a dark "den" that's too hard to illuminate inside. The interior cabin scheme I settled on would surely be much darker than Travis' "Pilgrim" (which is mostly white inside), but brighter than Chick's "Princess" (which is all dark-grained wood). Brightly colored mattresses on each berth will also brighten it up quite a bit compared to the way it looks now.

When I get to the exterior, I'm probably going to use the same color scheme as found on Chick's P22. I really like that blend of wood and white, particularly in the cockpit areas. When I was younger and people asked me my favorite color, instead of "blue" or "green" like normal kids, I would often say "wood" or "wood-colored". Guess that should've been the first clue I'd grow up wanting to build boats. :)

The centerboard is installed and working nicely, but I forgot to snap a shot of the board in the lowered position. If anyone else is building a model of this (or another CB-equipped design), I found that a finishing nail works great as a pivot pin for the CB. Just use a wire cutters to cut the nail to the length you need, drill a hole the same size through the trunk and CB, insert the pin, and then put a dab of sealant on either side of the hole to make it watertight. Works like a charm, and if you drill the hole slightly small, it makes the CB pivot stiffly enough that you can put it down for sailing at the duck pond with no worry that it will float back up into the trunk.

By the way, Charlie... I never did think to tell you... I bought some Marples chisels on your recommendation and also taught myself to sharpen them free-hand, without a sharpening guide, as you suggested. I love them, and they've come in really handy for about a dozen different projects already, including this model. Believe it or not, I've already learned to sharpen them finely enough to shave hair off the back of my hand. It takes a lot of patience to get them honed that sharp at first, but now I touch them up after every use and it's not too hard to keep them sharp that way... long as you don't use them to chisel glue or slice fiberglass or anything like that. Anyway, thanks for the recommendations.

Well, the deck is on. Ugh, the more I work on this model, the more I find reason to regret the 3/32" birch ply. Had a lot of trouble getting the forward end to curve to match the camber of the forward bulkhead. Finally settled on cutting a series of parallel cuts about halfway through the ply so it would bend, then filled the cuts with bondo/putty--just a tip in case anyone else has started a model with material too think like mine.

Need to fill some gaps along the shear yet. They appeared when the glue I was using let go in a few spots, but nothing too drastic so should be an easy fix. Who knew modeling could be more work than building a full-sized boat?!

So here's the decking in place. I think I might have messed up the scale and cut the cabin opening too far forward, so I may end up having to piece in a filler strip to shorten the cabin length. So it goes. :)

I'm a firm believer in building a decent sized model of any proposed boating project. Particularly when there are new things that are not a part of our own experience base. It also shows us the contruction sequence and potential issues. Yes, it is also fun! And it keeps us out of trouble when it isn't sailing weather. :roll: