past members, time for a check in and update

Guest Oyster

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Oyster!

Just checking back in. I haven't been on the list much in the recent months. This whole making a living thing has gotten in the way since relocating to the Minneapolis area from Alaska. As You Wish, my weekender made the trip down from Alaska in the moving van without incident. Much better I'm sure than if I'd pulled her down the Alaskan Hwy. I DID get a chance to sail her some this past Summer and Fall on Lake Pepin on the Mississippi, including at the Minnesota Messabout that Bill Paxton organized. I encourage anyone in the area to come to this year's event. It's a fun bunch!

My procrastination period is about running out on the Winter maintenance for As You Wish. Still need to work on the steering a bit and one further epoxy patch on the keel. Pretty minor repairs this year, and she'll be all ready to go. Looking forward to a longer sailing season than at 64 degrees N. Lat. :)

I do have a winter boat project going though, just to keep what little sanity I have left. I'm building a Bob's Special 15ft. wood strip canoe. My landlord was kind enough to let me build it in the finished basement of the place I'm renting. So I have a pretty warm, cozy boatshed for this project...and it's even carpeted! :shock: Figure I can us the canoe on the lakes around here to get in some fly fishing. I'll attach a pic of the current status of the canoe.

Next big boat adventure is a trip to the Grenadines for a one week live-aboard cruise to get my bare boat charter certificate. Something I've been wanting to do for a while now. Leave the 8th of April for a week in the tropical sun. Here's the link to the outfit I'm using.

http://www.barefootyachts.com/

Seemed like a good bunch of folks with the right balance of work and play for me. :D

All for now,

John M.

Alaskan-in-Exile

post-31-12949764804_thumb.jpg

Guest Oyster

Great Gatsby guys!!!! :shock: Why do you fellows hide all of this stuff all the time around here? For months we wander along, every now and then waking up Greg and Jake in the middle of the night, :wink: only to find that some of you fellows have been loosing a bit more sleep building some neat projects in seclusion. :P Heck even the donation project was kept under wraps until pryed out with a cold chiesel. :lol:

Recap

Adla; wow. What great pics. When did you actually study for those mid-terms... :wink: Are those shroud socks copyrighted? They are so classy.

Joe on the Hudson: What's that neat catboat?

lbrewer. That's so cool, but you obviously live somewhere where it is too warm if those are current photos of the dingy. No fair.

As to here and Charlie Girl II; I'll get a couple of pics up, but I have recut the mast base and fitted tabernacle cheeks and have the main boom and gooseneck on now; although some finish and hardware to go. Rudder is rigged. I may try to get the pivot bolt and the lock pin set up this weekend and see about raising the mast once for a dry fit before I take everything apart for doing the finish work on the revised base and tabernacle. Just about ready to start cutting sails. Took some finish damage over the winter; need to do some sanding and refreshing; but with the mast base and boom fitted, now I have tent style cover that sheds water a lot better.

Cheers.

DocA

Hey Joe,

Long time, no see on this forum. I'm still envious about your shop space. 8)

Nice reconstruction project. You've done anice job on others and this should be very satisfying too. Yes, tell us about the cat. :wink:

John,

Nice stripper. Good landloard to allow it. Keep us informed and photos as you complete it. 8)

The Catboat is TidBit a 16.5' Winthrop Warner Catboat. Built 1964 by Herb Baum to Withrop Warner design "tidbit" for Alfred B. Scofield of Stamford, CT and St. Michaels, MD. Plans can be found in Mystic Seaport archives. Includes trailer, 5 hp 4 stroke Honda, sail cover, bimini, anchor. LOA 16'6", Beam 7'= 6", LWL 15'9". 170 sqft sail. Cedar Planked over oak with teak trim and laid deck. boat lines appeared in "Yachting" in 1964 and reveal very fine waterlines and mast location 6 inches or so aft of typical catboat location. All this translates to a great sailing boat with much less weather helm than typical catboats.

And she is one of the sexiest Catboats I have ever seen ;)

f157aab4.jpg

f0564eb7.jpg

Roomy cockpit

f042023c.jpg

A drawing I did of her rig up

f0405a4a.jpg

Cant wait to be sitting at the helm

f00795a8.jpg

Been spending a lot of time getting her pretty

efea43b9.jpg

Thanks for the compliments guys been a long time between posts ;)

oyster is off and so am i - going to hang with some boaters in Northern Utah and then take Morgaine for a dip in the lake on the way back...maybe catch some fish.

Joe - VERy NICE very very nice...been watching that on WB -

lbrewer - the little one is nice too! Good to see so many different boats.

ok i'm over and out!

a.

Well I know Oyster is gone for a few days but I figured I'd update anyway so he can see what happened while he was away.

The last picture before turning the 3rd graders loose:

efaa3123.jpg

And here's a new twist on the roll & tip method of finishing...Aargh!...I can't look!

efaa3101.jpg

efaa30df.jpg

efaa30bd.jpg

efaa30a3.jpg

Hi Guys - I've been offline for a a fair while - I was half way through building a Weekender two years ago and then got a new position at work. This meant putting everything (including a half built weekender) into storage. I've spent the last two years in Paris, Amsterdam, New York, Singapore, Hong Kong and Bangalore (India).

I was living in Canberra, (Australia), but on my return will be setting up in Sydney. I'm returning after Easter, and will be setting up in an Apartment which comes with a Weekender sized workshop / garage.

I'm really looking forward to getting back into the project - and anticipate bugging you guy's a lot over the next couple of months! I've been keeping an irregular eye on the site and its good to see that most of the old regulars are still contributing!

Catch you all later

The 2 boys in the 4th picture down have the look on their faces like future boat builders. Look at the determined looks on their faces. Great project.

No. That's not determination. They're just thinking about changing the design a little. You know, add a few more feet, adding a cuddy cabin, maybe adding a little wing to the keel. You know, the same ole stuff.