past members, time for a check in and update

Guest Oyster

Guest Oyster

Well I guess I will cut you some slack beings you have doing the books too.But most of us are just plain worn out from watching you work. So I suggest that all us bend an elbow with a nice cold margerita in honor of your many accomplishments...

94966741_c209bba166_o.gif

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Oyster

Forgot to post a new wooden boat in the finishing stage of another fellow that we swap mails with from time to time. This is a plywood on traditional framing. Ken Hankinson design which is no more. A change of pace here. :wink: Talk about hijacking a thread?

caseyflatsboat.jpg

Back to the original idea of the thread.

Oyster, We are doing fine here in Alabama. The big boat just got back from a charter and we are busy cleaning it up and doing some necessary repairs on it. In addition, SWMBO has declared there should be a brick patio at the back of the house and that I should build it. Those two things trump my time on this forum.

I do have an order in for a Grand Diva plan set, but Graham has been busy SETTING RECORDS with the CS 17 (Way to go Graham - glad to see it). Hopefully, he'll be able to get those out the door now that he is back home.

Charlie, When are you coming over this way?

Steve

Oyster I don't think you're able to hijack your own thread - It seems more like a random executive change of direction. Man, that boat is slick! It looks like it ought to be engaging in a main engine burn preparatory to orbital insertion. It also looks like it'll float in about an inch and a half of water.

Adla,

Morgaine's getting prettier every day.

Okay, now to hijack the thread :)

Welcome, Pipefitter! There are a bunch of very friendly and helpful folks around here.

The skiff looks great.

Since I am a new lurker/member this shouldn't be a hijack,right? My next boat I am "considering" building is a panga.Something a little more modern looking than the Mexican version.Something along the lines of this(sabalo) boat but less a planing hull. Something suited for lower HP with a more sea kindly hull. I dislike the look of the modern glass panga as well.

Any ideas? Something around 22-23ft. I am not opting for the tower either. Ken,thanks for the hospitality and the nice comments of my skiff.

I also possess the plans for the Simmons 20ft and thats not entirely out of the question as a next build.

ao3.jpg

Here's my current project (and my project for the next few years). As soon as my keepers decide on my next work-related project, I can begin this fun-related project.

The Sandgrouse is a Selway-Fisher design that will be strip-planked in cedar. I built the model over the winter and hope to start construction soon.

PICT0041.jpg

Poking my head above the rubrail again!

Just been too busy with the new house to even look at the boat (which is in my in-law's yard).

Spent the last two weekends in the attic, putting down insulation. And will be spending the next few weekends doing the same. It's not the putting down that takes the time, it's the pulling out of all the old rubbish, wood, dead rats, etc. that does it.

Once I have 4" between the rafters, I have to run the wiring for the security lights, then put 6" across the rafters. Then ventilate the attics and wire up the sensors and security lighting.

With 2,000 square feet of attic, that takes a while :shock:

After all that is done, the next job is to make and fix the tiller on the boat, and put on the motor mount. THEN I'll get sailing again! :D

Hopefully, it'll be before the end of the summer. :roll:

Oh I did look at the caribbiana well before I built the Simmons and thats the boat I like. I would like to do one in glued lap.They kind of cheat with the caribbiana with the console so far back. I had a boat come into the shop tonight and I can't remember the name of it now but it looks like a Privateer similar to the sabalo picture. I also saw a panga at another site but there is other boats there that look like knockoffs of some other famous designs of yesterday and I am kind of spooked using a copycat set of plans if they dont fully deserve the credit. Maybe I am being too harsh on that.

I've been out on a 23' Carib. and studied the strake lines. I wonder if they are trulely developable(sp?) surfaces? Like 5/4" at mid ship WL then 1/2" 3 strakes down?? Overall, really nice piece of snot almost a luggy :lol: !

and they are quite proud of their snot too! I do like the look of it I think. How was the ride?

The odd thicknesses probably translates to having to fair the mold like that which means it could be built better in wood. I would opt for the same reveal in the strakes like the Simmons ,other than where they taper to nothing at stem and stern.

Surprisingly dry and comfortable for such a small hull. We ran at of Orange Bch (Wolf Bay) into the Gulf thru some rough chop. Yes they are proud of them $$. The strake thickness changes may be more than just fairing!

They may be.Seems the traditional pangas had some kind of odd plank arrangement as well,especially towards the top. I'll have to look.It could be just the way they put the gains in the planking.Maybe someone else might know exactly what the reasoning behind that may be. The extra thick reveals on a glass boat would add rigidity to the sides for one, or maybe keep them from vibrating or flexing being they dont have the advantage of the double ply thickness at laps as a wood boat would. Especially in a frameless boat. Or to keep the spray away better or all of the above.

Ok,Stump. You looked and are going to just let me ramble in Oyster's thread ,without some input as to ease the speculative babble I have going on here?

Thats a beautiful boat.An admirable achievement and I have to say I am impressed.I bet you are enjoying the heck out of it. I can only imagine. How much do you find yourself just staring at it? :)

almost done with the nutshell dinghy..... some fairing left to do and I'll spray primer this weekend and paint the inside. Monday it goes to the 3rd graders to paint the hull :( .....then they'll have had a hand in the project for the charity auction on April 1st. One of the cheap canoes is going to the auction too.......I'll try to get a picture after they.....(gasp....sob) paint it.

efbbe615.jpg

efbbe5fe.jpg

efbbe631.jpg