Everglades Challenge Race

Designer

According to the tracking GPS, they got in at 1:27 this morning. That checks with their progress line. The 4:30 check in time is a puzzle. Don't know what happened there.

The race organizers are doing a very sloppy job of keeping up with the racers. They deserve a lot better, especially considering the high entry fee..

Okay, I've got the WHOLE story now. I spoke to Graham this morning.They arrived at 1:06, theD's oon the G-cat arrived at 4:14 and Greybeard and co arrived at about 8:15 (while we were onthe phone). So it seems that Graham and Fred really smashed the record!

The GPS was correct - as was my first post of their finish.

And on tops of everything else, they had to do a repair underway. There was a screw up about dark yesterday and they broke a sprit - so they had to stop and splint it with a sail batten. They also reefed down to keep off some of the presssure of getting through those channels. Without all this excitement, they might have been in before midnight. Anyway, they are tired but obviously happy.

I agree with Tom. The reporting situation is seriously poor; and Chief and Mrs. Chief work so hard - it is not lack of effort or energy on their part. Mrs. Chief says they were "caught off guard" about the speed of this year's race. I think they were caught off guard because they are from the paddling world, not the sailing world and just don't know what good fast boats are capable of. Problem is the Chief's personality is such, I don't know if he can take advice or help. I kinda threw some ideas in a post to vanman - and maybe they can take the hint. I appealed to the fiscal possibilities a better run reporting system would offer. You can go and read it there if you are interested. The sailors are sort of second class citizens in this race - or have been made to feel so. It is certainly an area that should be seriously worked on in the future. I had thought after the complaints last year they might have tried a different tack this year.

Congratulations Graham and Fred!

A new record WOW.

What an effort!

Since I took pictures of your departure, I wish I could have been there for the arrival. I woke up about 2AM this morning and was so excited about your progress, I checked the satellite site and saw that you were already there.

I second the comments about the WaterTribe site. As of a few minutes ago they still had not posted the winners or their arrival times.

GREAT JOB GRAHAM & FRED.

I'm sure Graham and Fred have the biggest cheerleading section in the Challenge! Congratulations to the two of you for winning a hard-fought race and establishing a new course record!

I think it's time the sailing world at large started paying a little more attention to B and B Design!

ROOOOOOOO!

Congrats Graham & Fred. It's really great to see the capability of the CS17 demonstrated. Hull #129 will be getting wet soon. Maybe someday we'll attempt the Challenge. I'm sure everyone on the site would love to get a first hand report on the race. Hope your catching up on the lost sleep!

Tom

We should not miss the point that the second place boat is a G Cat. This is a fast boat. I once knew one to set a record from Wrightsville Beach to Atlantic Beach in North Carolina that AVERAGED over 17 knots for the 67 miles. Getting from here to there in a race like the Everglades Challenge is more than just speed. Congratulation to Graham and Fred. :D