Thank you Charlie - CS 17 Rollover a success

Dale Niemann

Thank you Charlie for your photos of the Princess rollover. They really helped me in rolling over my CS 17 "Lively". She is now ready for me to prepare and paint the bottom and topsides.

We used two comealongs and an old ancient wood block and tackle. We took the block and tackle apart and used one block with each comealong. The blocks had two pulley wheels but we just used one. It made the rollover a piece of cake.

We did have one problem when we first tried it in my garage. The roof was not high enough. So we found a wonderful camphor tree in my front yard and it worked great.

Here are some photos.

post-181-129497646779_thumb.jpg

post-181-129497646781_thumb.jpg

post-181-129497646783_thumb.jpg

That looks like a Southern Oak you are using. I miss those trees.

The hull looks so pretty that you could finish it bright. What are your plans?

I understand the hoisting up part. It is the rotating while hoisted part that I am not clear on.

Thanks.

Greg.

Very nice job on the boat and rollover. But there are a couple of problems I see from here. No one works with green carpet under the boat and short sleeve work shirts. Greg did you notice that too? :wink:

Dale- that's great :) Glad I posted something that helped. That's what we're on here for isn't it?

Greg- the lines are continuous. They run around the boat and are knotted right at the sheave. Both are set the same way. Then you roll the boat in the lines, letting them run through the sheaves. You of course roll them away from the knots.

Be careful to not let it get away from you- when the boat goes over center it can move FAST!!! Not that big a deal on a 17 but on the Princess there was a good deal of weight there. I rolled the CS 17 by myself, but with the Princess I had 2 helpers.

I got the bottom sanded on the CS 17 in my shop today. Almost ready to spray the paint on the bottom , then finish off the inside.

And Mike- I was working in a short sleeve button up shirt today- :) no green carpet though. It was 78 here, but we're supposed to get a front on Sat sometime.

Thanks for all the comments guys especially Charlie. Your explanation was exactly the way I did it. I did have a helper but I could have done it by myself. It did want to roll quickly through part of the roll but was easily containable on the 17.

Well, I did not want to mention the temperature. I probably could have had shorts but was not working quite hard enough. With sanding and finishing I will probably need shorts since it will be work.

Temp lately has been in mid 70s. Sorry for the green stuff, I will edit it out next time. Don't want a mutiny.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Oyster

Hello Dale. I am up the road from you and would like to see your hull, if you are interested. Send me a pm with any contact number and I will return the mail.