New Design from B&B

Guest graham

:n00b: B&B Builders Announcement!

As is only proper, we are posting a preview notice of an upcoming design from B&B here, on our builders' site. Family first and all that.

Welcome the newest design in our portfolio, the "Belhaven".

Due to numerous requests for a cabin/cuddy on the Core Sound boats, we have been developing a small cabin design which is very much a development from the Core Sound series. The hull, while not identical, or even exactly a proportional development, will look very familiar to those who know the Core Sound boats. It is a little beamier, and with little more displacement. Most obviously you will notice that it has a cabin, and ballast. The centerboard is offset to port as in the Princess, to keep a nice clear interior layout. In what we hope will be a stroke of practicality, it has a small bilge keel to starboard so the boat can sit firmly on three legs when beached, stored etc...It will sit a trailer nicely and load and unload easily.

Her dimensions: 18'9" LOA; 7' Beam; Sailing Displacement 1500# (has variable ballast options). Cat Ketch Rig

Simple interior has 3 berths, galley and porta potti (probably there will be other interior layouts to follow).

She meets ISO class C standards. With 2 crew in the standard configuration she will have postive righting stability to 80 degrees and is unsinkable

And before the "buzz" begins..No, there will not be 6' headroom and unlimited offshore sailing capability... so don't even go there! That's another boat.

Finally, for those who must have more complication in their life - it will be coming out a little later in a sloop version.

If the idea of this boat excites you, hear ye this:

B&B is looking for one more Beta builder for this plan. The chosen builder will receive a FREE set of plans and work with us in the further development of this boat. We would need a builder with the following:

1. Has built one of more boats previously (as a matter of time).

2. Is able to devote enough time to the project to get it done in a reasonable amount of time (prefer less than a year - 6 months would be grand).

3. Willing to keep good records of time and expenses.

4. Willing to offer many photos, feedback and helpful suggestions.

We are building our own Behaven in the spring, and we have one more amateur building who will be beta-building this model.

The plan will also be available from our website - and if the e-gods allow, the plan drawings will be up on our site withina day or two. Because it is a not a radical new design, but rather a development, we are not asking for "test" boat, but rather builder who can help us refine the plans to make the best product for our builders.

Guest Joe Nelson CS#35

Anyone reading this announcement should take note and know that not all designers have Graham's committment to accuracy or respect for ametuer builders. The Beta process he is talking about means time in going from the drawing board to the making money selling plans. But it removes potential inaccuracies and therefore frustration, time and money for future builders. Knowing how good Graham is about spending time on the phone with proven plans...if I were ready to start a new project, I would not hesitate going through the beta process with him

Thanks

Joe

Thanks for the kinds words, complinents and your confidence - it is greatly valued! It is what we work for.

Just wanted to let everyone know, we have gotten the Belhaven up on our web site - hopefully without too many glitches .... either e-snafus or typos...if anyone finds them do let us know so we can quickly fix things up.

The direct link for the Belhaven design is http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com/bel.htm

Nice looking boat, Graham! You have a lot designed into the 18' 6" length, including two berths suited for tall people and cockpit seats long enough for sleeping under the stars.

Everyone should take a look at the centerboard/bilge keel set up too; I don't think I've ever seen that type done just that way.

There you go Frank. You have been thinking about a larger sailboat even looked at P-19's. This looks like a good one for people looking to expand there sailing grounds while still keeping the boat size and overall boat weight down. Plus I love cat-ketches in small boats. A joy to sail they are.

Paul J

There you go Frank. You have been thinking about a larger sailboat even looked at P-19's. This looks like a good one for people looking to expand there sailing grounds while still keeping the boat size and overall boat weight down. Plus I love cat-ketches in small boats. A joy to sail they are.

Paul J

It is tempting, that's for sure. It looks like a better layout than a Potter 19. And not as large a project as the Princess 22'. But I suspect timing is not quite right for me for anything that size, at least for a few years (I have a set of the Spindrift plans I intend to build this spring; I'm thinking I can get it substantially built before I have to explain myself!)