Core Sound 20 #36

Guest Terry Dunn

Guest Terry Dunn

I built a Spindrift 10 as a practice boat. Since I was not sure of my skills, or lack thereof, I built my S10 out of Home Depot fir. Since I did not want the fir to check, I fiberglassed the whole boat. The result is a nice little boat that is on the heavy side. I got the practice I was looking for in constructing a boat from plans and fiberglassing the boat.

I will be starting construction on the CS20 soon. I ordered plywood from Edensaw. 1088 Okoume for the 6mm and marine fir for the 9mm bottom panels. The prices from Edensaw were lower than other suppliers I found.

Have any of you bought plywood from Edensaw?

I used US Composites Epoxy on my S10 and the thin epoxy they sell worked fine. I also purchaed fiberglass tape and other supplies from US Composites. I may go with S3 on the CS20 just to be on the safe side.

Do any of you have any experience with US Composites Epoxy?

terryplay@msn.com

Guest Frank Hagan, Weekender, O

A builder I know, Justin Pipkorn, bought from an Edensaw dealer nearer to him (and to me) but still about 265 miles from us in Southern CA! He has a website at http://www.amateurboatbuilding.com/ProjectJustRight/Chap03.htm that describes his search for the right plywood. He was happy with Edensaw's product. His email link is on his page, and he's a nice guy, so feel free to email him.

I'm trying to find marine ply, but can only find douglas fir locally. I may settle for finnish birch marine ply, which a local boatyard said is available; he gave me the wholesale distributor's name,so I'll call them tomorrow and see if they have a local dealer with stock.

Good luck with your CS!

fshagan@ev1.net

Guest Joe Nelson

I have hull #35 :) Where are you from?

I just ordered my plywood from Edensaw. I went through the Port Townsend Wa, location. I was thoroughly pleased with the process.

I am using Aquatek. Its rated as BS6566 and for instance the 6mm was $23 a sheet. Its beautiful wood! Meranti.

Epoxy suggestion. Try Dixon Marine. They sell S3 at the cheapest prices I have seen.

dixonmarine.com

joe_nelson22@hotmail.com

Guest Joe Nelson

The 6mm has 5 plies. As I understand...the biggest difference between Aquatek (what I got) and Hydrotek (BS1088 type) is that the outer ply thickness is thicker. It was recommended that if you are bright finishing to go to hydrotek. But I am happy with the fishing of the Aquatek. Its beautiful wood! Just have to be careful about sanding too much on the outer ply. Aquatek is sold as wood that will be painted. Both hydrotek and aquatek are cheaper than BS6566 Okoume.

The only critisism I have is that it is heavier than Okoume. Its Meranti after all.

I know of some professional builders who use it on power boats (Tolman Skiffs) and they have nothing but good things to say about it.

Joe

joe_nelson22@hotmail.com

Guest Terry Dunn

Joe, I am in Aurora Colorado. I went with the Okoume to put 100 lbs less on my trailer. I used $13 per sheet plywood for my S10. Now I am going the other direction for my C20. Perhaps a waste of $300.

Thanks for the tip on Dixon. The prices look good.

uscomposites .com comes in about $100 cheaper than the CS20 kit from Dixon for about the same stuff, plus shipping .. sooo about 60$ cheaper. I used the thin on my S10 and it worked fine. However, I don't have any info regarding its water resistance over a period of time.

Since I am going expensive on the CS20, I am considering the S3.

I will probably glass the bottom so I will probably need more epoxy than the kit. Opps, There goes some of my 100 lbs.

terryplay@msn.com

Guest Graham Byrnes

It will be interesting to see if the meranti Aquatek changes the folding dynamics, because A) meranti is a stronger wood than okume and B) with 3 thicker core veneers, cross panel stiffness will be greater than with 5 equal veneers.

Guest capt jake

I'll buy wood for my next boat (blue jacket 24) from Edensaw for sure!

Epoxy; Raka. Very happy with the product and service.

Cloth; fiberglass supply. Very resonable pricing and friendly service. Even had an order on my door step the next morning. :)

cloth

jwentz4@attbi.com

Guest Joe Nelson

Only 2 thicker cores and 3 thinner. I am sure its a little less flexable than the Okoume. But I have faith. I also know that if necessary you can stitch, wait, stitch more, wait, stitch tighter.

joe_nelson22@hotmail.com

Guest Graham Byrnes

I'm not saying it will not conform, but the transverse tension may cause the centerline to want to pull away from the f'ward bulkhead/ center frame. The reason that it will be stiffer across the sheet than with even plies is that the 2 plies that go across the sheet are closer to the surface and therefore further from the neutral axis.