Time to Rig a Spindrift?

Guest Frank Hagan, Weekender, O

Can any of you give an estimate of how long it takes to rig a Spindrift? I'm thinking of the 10' version as a quick little daysailer for single handing (especially if we move up to a big plastic sailboat in a year or so). I'd like something that I could take to the harbor, rig and launch quickly.

fshagan@ev1.net

Guest Graham Byrnes

This subject is very fresh in my mind as our fall Spindrift racing season started yesterday and therefore I have just rigged and unrigged my Spindrift 10. The rig is very simple as the mast pokes into the luff sleeve Laser fashion, attach the boom,the mainsheet, boomvang and run the outhaul and downhaul. I don't mind if it takes an extra minute to rig, but when I come ashore and the sail is flogging in the wind and my fingers are cold I want it to be quick and easy to unrig. To solve this problem I fitted inexpensive snapshackles to the mainsheet, vang and downhaul. At the gooseneck I have a fastpin on the vertical axis. To unrig I just unclip the three snapshackles, untie the outhaul, pull the fastpin and pull the boom forward to pull it off the small loop of line that hangs under the clew that prevents boom droop and all that I have left is the sail flying from the mast like a flag. The mast and sail is lifted out of the boat and laid on the grass. I can do all this about as quick as it takes to read this. I have complicated my rig slightly by running

the control lines back to the helm. I am sure that no America's Cup race is more fiercely fought than some of our little races and the ability to adjust the shape of the sail on the go is worth the extra complication. I have never timed my unrigging but it seems that I could have the sail on the grass in 1 minute and maybe another 5 to fold the sail and tidy up the lines. It always seems to take longer to rig than unrig. Perhaps it's because it's fun to socialize with our friends than win the rigging race. We have a rule in our fleet that you can do anything to the rig, if it is cheap and it is available to everybody. Banned are such things as travelers, rigid vangs, carbon fiber etc. The idea is to advance the class but to prevent an arms race where whoever spent the most money would be the winner.

Guest Bill Jarvis

Frank,

You can in the water sailing in ten minutes with the Spindrift 10 or 12,.

Simply assemble the mast, slide it into the pocket along the luff of the main and stand it up in the boat. Add the boom, connect the outhaul, downhaul and mainsheet and you're ready for the water.

Drop on the rudder and centerboard and you're off for an exhilarating sail.

Bill

bjarvis@coastalnet.com

Sounds quick and easy, all right. I would love to get a group of guys around here sailing in the afternoon on weekends like that. If you can launch in a few minutes, break down the rig in another few, and don't have to worry about a large trailer, etc., I imagine its easier to sneak out and catch a few minutes of sailing.

I was also wondering which Spindrift plan to buy, but if you're sailing the 10' ... :D

fshagan@ev1.net

Sounds like the voice of experience, Bill.

Do you car top your Spindrift or trailer it? I hope to transport mine in the back of my Explorer Sport Trac, which has a small bed, but with the tailgate down and just 2 miles to the harbor, I can rig something up to get it there.

fshagan@ev1.net

Guest Terry Dunn - Denver CO

I put snapshackles on my main and boom vang. Rigging is fast and simple. I pop over to the local reservoir (not many real lakes in Colorado) fo a quick sail and don't feel the set up is intrusive.

I bought a used trailer for my 10. It is real handy to have the boat on a trailer. My boat is probably much heavier than most Spindrift 10's. I used fir plywood and covered her with a light FG cloth.

My next project is a CS 20. I hope to see some postings on this site from CS 20 builders. I will use good plywood for that boat.

terryplay@msn.com