Photos of my latest project

Jim Stumpf

• 1 year later...

Jim,

I read your article in SWA about the No Frills 15. I even found the boat in the picture of the BEER 2007 rally! At least, I think I found it. At any rate, now that you've had the boat on the water for awhile. what are your thoughts on the boat's sailing qualities? Where would you be willing to take the boat to, and where would you be unwilling to sail it? How was it as a cruiser in terms of comfort and habitability?

Mike

Hello Mike & Greg,

Thanks for your interest in "Primrose".

I have sailed her on Lake Erie and several inland reservoirs here in Ohio as well as the trip on Pensacola Bay. The boat has served me well this first season. I am still learning and becoming comfortable with this new craft but have been impressed so far. She sails best with the larger genni and the main but get over powered in moderate winds (with the large head sail), an easier reefing system for the main is on the drawing board for the spring when I can take the boat outdoors and step the mast. She sails well on all points of sail but tends toward a bit of lee helm. I think that an adjustment to the mast rake will solve this problem, it is not excessive but it is certainly an issue.

The accommodations are perfect for one, it is even workable for my 13 year old daughter and myself for a couple of days. For a young newlywed couple it would be cozy, if you and your sailing partner are used to backpacking accommodations you will find this cabin luxurious. On the other hand my wife refuses to camp out in this boat even though the cabin is spacious for a 15 ft boat it is still a 15 ft boat.

At this time I have no regrets with this boat, she is easily trailered, quickly and easily rigged, it has at least average sailing characteristics and she is different enough to garner inquiries on the water and at the ramp.

I haven't posted pictures here in awhile so I will try that in the next post so as not to have to retype this post when I screw it up.    ;D

I have had some great feed back regarding the SCA article and I wanted to thank everyone that has commented on it, I hope that you have enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing and sharing it with everyone.

Jim

The Vacationer is gone to Atlanta so I will have to update my signature also.

• 1 month later...

Hello Jim Stumpf,

I posted an inquiry about the Kingston 15 on a different thread. Still learning how to navigate this site. The comparison you made between the Vacationer and the Kingston 15 here actually answered my question. I'm a senior single handed sailor. This boat looks ideal for my sailing grounds (Barnegat Bay, NJ, Chesapeake Bay, the ICW , maybe even a B.E.E.R trip). Your gallery illustrating the capsize attempt was very reassuring. After dragging my feet for two years, not really comfortable with the unballasted Weekender or Vacationer. I'm sure they're great boats and beautiful versions have been built. But at 68 years of age I need a boat that will compensate for my lack of agility and that will heave-to easily to allow for  frequent trips to the head ;D.  The Kingston 15 is It! I also consider the kick-up centerboard a must and will do the same.

Happy sailing is 'round the point!

take care,

Bill

Wow Jim that boat is fantastic. I really like what you did with the interior, it looks like a stable boat for sure.    If I ever decide to build another larger boat the Kingston is definetly a possability.

thanks for the pic's do you have a link to more? I'm sorry,I'm just a boat junkie and you do some fantastic work. I will be able to Sail with your Vacationer this summer, and it bieng one of the boats that inspired me to build my own vacationer, it will be a treat that I look forward to. You know even before I got my plans, I had a printed copy of the three photos of rudunyet from the Stevensons website that you had posted. I had them at work and at home for all to see what I was contemplating (and for insperation). Then along came Sarahlee, Iydler, and Whippoorwill, and that was more than I could take and now I am almost done with Therapy (my vacationer)

Thanks.

Brian.

Thanks for all the kind words.

Brian although I rarely post over at the BYYB I do read the post and have been following your progress, as I have seen several folks over there say "Get Busy"  ;D  It took me 6 years to build RUDUNYET so I am the pot calling the kettle black. Keep up the good work and she will be done some day. Good luck. By the way I have had the great good fortune to have sailed with both Dave Ruedel and Craig Gleason and Vacationer builders must be some of the best folks on the planet.

I do have some other pictures I will have to take some time and share them.

Thanks again to everyone,

Jim

Thank you for the insperation Jim, I find Boat builders in general, well in these waters are all some of the nicest folks on the planet. allways giving good advise. I even have begun giving some of what I have learned from all Y'all Here and BYYB combined so I am glad that I can keep it going a little bit as well.

Brian.

• 4 weeks later...