Ryobi RE1802M router

Greg Luckett

My experiences with this router have not been good.

This router came with a R181FB fixed base, a R181PF plunge base, & a R181D D-Handle base, and a nice bag. I used the fixed base and router under my router table. From the start, the height adjustment ring was stiff and hard to rotate, then it got so bad I had to buy a larger strap wrench to get the motor out of it or make any adjustment. I tried cleaning the contact surfaces but this did not help, nor did graphite dust. I finally sanded the surfaces with a sanding sponge to get it to adjust, but the strap wrench is still needed. I wish I had not wasted the money on this router and recommend that you NOT buy a Ryobi router.

I also own and like using my Bosch, Black & Decker, and Porter Cable routers.

Ryobi makes some good "homeowner duty" tools, but it doesn't look like the router is one of them. From what I've seen lately, the Porter Cable fixed base, on/off routers are a good buy, but some have reported trouble with the variable speed and plunge routers from them. DeWalt also has a good name in routers these days, and I last bought a DW 621 2HP plunge router. I like the way it works.

• 9 years later...