Work bench plans

sort of a tough question to answer Greg.

I have a HEAVY table - 4 x 6 - that I use for scarfing plywood, laying out things, screwing blocks to when I'm laminating, etc.

I had a long 2 foot widebench- 24 feet long that I laid out boat sides, etc when building the canoes, kayaks, the sharpie etc.

If you want to build spars a narrow but as long as you can get bench is the ticket

And then I have my Steiner woodwokers bench. which is pictured here ( and on another thread tonight)

When I was building my 35 foot tri I did all my work on a very heavy (so it sat still while I was scarfing) 4 X 8 foot table.

Main things are that it's solid and has a good vise. Rest is pretty much gravy.

post-36-12949764596_thumb.jpg

Greg,

If you have a Lowe's near you, you might look into this...

When I was in Lowe's about two weeks ago, they had a little mini-magazine (more like a 16-page pamphlet, actually) called "The WoodPost: An Exclusive Lowe's Woodworker's Publication." Anyway, the issue I picked up (for free) had plans for a "workspace on wheels" (featured on the cover of the issue). It's a pretty slick little workcenter, which, if built to plan, has cabinet space all the way around the four sides for holding power tools, hardware, etc. The ends have pegboard and power outlets, and then there's a long slot for holding stacks of longer pieces of wood. The countertop is about 4' x 7', so it would be ideal for laying out big sheets of plywood, or offer plenty of space for whatever else you might be gluing up, etc. And it looks easy to build... all square-cut stock and rectangular panels, so it could be built really quickly with a decent table saw and (if available) a miter saw.

Anyway, thought I would mention it since they're giving the plans away for free at Lowe's.

Greg,

Sorry I didn't think to offer this... I still have a copy of the plans here, so if you don't find any at your Lowe's, let me know. I was thinking of building one of these workcenters myself, but it will be a long time before I have the chance anyway, so if you like you could just have my copy. In fact, I could probably scan it in and e-mail it to you, so then I wouldn't even be out the cost of a stamp. :)

Either way, let me know and I'd be happy to send it to you one way or another.

Wes

I talked with the local Lowes. They had one copy which belonged to someone else there and told me this store does not usually have them. The fellow I talked to was as helpful as he could be and gave me the website to find it. Unfortunately, I was unable to do so. I went round and round with Lowes website (www.lowes.com/woodworker) and never did find it. :?

I appreciate your offer to scan and email it. That would probably work. Would you please do so?

Thanks,

Greg.

Hi Greg,

Sure, I'll scan it for you. I just have to dig out the scanner from the closet. I'll try to get around to it sometime tonight or tomorrow night. If you haven't heard from me in a couple days, drop me another note to remind me. (I'm horribly forgetful lately... must be the winter blahs dulling my brain.)

:)

Not to knock a good hardwood topped workbench, I would love to have one also. I find that I am rather hard on my workbench and it is always multi-tasking. I built a stout frame of 4x4's and 2x6's with a 3/4" top. A 1/4" piece of masonite on top of that to provide a smooth surface that is easily replaced when needed. I made mine 3'x5', an odd size but I can reach all the way around it. Heavy shelf on the bottom that houses a lot of the heavier tools I don't use that often. This also serves as ballast (as Charlie pointed out). :)

Capt Jake,

Funny you mention that... the Lowe's workspace plans that I am scanning for Greg are designed to accommodate a replaceable top like the one you mention on your own workspace. Of course, Greg could easily modify it for a hardwood top too if he prefers that. They both have their pros and cons.

Wes

By the way, Greg... check your e-mail. I sent the scanned files to the e-mail address listed in your member profile. I hope that's okay. I broke it into two separate e-mails to avoid crashing your e-mail client.

The files are at 150 dpi, so they should print reasonably well, but if you would like higher-res versions, I can do that too.

Wes

Greg,

Did you see that Lee Valley Tool has workbench plans available for $10.50 also? These are more woodworker oriented than the Lowe's plans I sent you... designed for a solid wood top, it seems. 3 different versions available: Veritas, Modern, and Traditional... all with options for round dog holes, etc.

Here's the link:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=31146&cat=1,46158,42665&ap=1

Wes, no, I had not seen that. I like the looks of that bench and may move in that direction....later. My wife pointed out that I spend a lot of the little spare time I have making things to allow me to make what I am really after. Sawhorses (are there ever enough?), jigs, etc. and that I should just buy a bench and get on with the picture frame making and the boat finishing. What a gal :D .

I have ordered a Sjobergs Woodworking Workbench with the storage cabinet. Woodcraft has a 10% off sale today for about $550 including shipping.

Nordic 1660. A mid-sized bench, the 1660 is 61" long, with a maximum clamping distance of 71-1/4" (vises mounted on both ends). Bench weight is 73 lb, shipping weight is 76 lb.

Nordic Plus Storage Cabinet. Illustrated beneath a Nordic 1450. Features include two sliding doors with access to a large 24-1/4" x 15" x 15" open cabinet and four drawers measuring 3-1/2" x 12-1/4" x 12-1/4" each. Entire case measures 38-3/4" x 18" x 17-5/16". Includes a new set of stretchers, assembly required.

This is a lighter bench than I really want, but it will work well in the basement where my "winter" shop is being set up, or in the garage. It is light enough to move around.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5401

I really like the looks of that Verita bench and it would be heavy enough to stay put. The cost of the plan set is not too much either, but I need to decide which one to order..... :)

Greg,

I wondered about the slot in the veritas bench too. My guess is that perhaps it's there to (1) allow for more clamping options, (2) make it possible to use the bench for cutting down large stock by cutting over the slot, and (3) have a place to toss round tools like chisels, etc. without them rolling off the bench.

I'm guessing though. That's what I would use it for.

Wes

The slot is for a place to lay tools. I don't like the slot, or "tool tray" - I built a filler on mine to close most of it off. I do a lot of work on chairs and with the tool tray open I can't set them totally on the bench. With the filler in place I can. That's why I have that tool bench behind me- so I can turn half around and lay them there out of the way of the work.

That Veritas is a nice bench by the way. My bench, which you have seen, is the Traditional style. I would prefer the Modern, which with my filler in place, I have, except I have the shoulder vise of the traditional..

I like the Modern style best of the three, too.

I am thinking that a bench should weigh in at about 150 Lbs or more to be solid feeling. Does this sound about right?

A 30x60 maple top from Granger is about $270 with shipping, then I estimate another $100 for the trestle, and another $150 for two vises, and to build a cabinet underneath, maybe $200 or so. I also would need a wheel system for moving it about.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

greg i think you will like most of the benchs allredy talked about but remember there like clamps you can never have enuf bench space i've got 60ftof 2in white oak bench a 3ft by 8ft 3/4in ona cabnet on weels and a 4ft by 8 ft 3/4 in on a 2by4 frame and noplace to put any thing maybe i should do a little cleaning :roll:

Ron,

I bought one from Woodcraft and am very happy with it. You are right about not having enough work bench space, but it does force me to clean up more often, which I always seem to need to do.

How stable is the one with wheels on it? I like a really solid feel to a bench when using the chisels or hand planes.