CS17 #122 gets wet

Peter Batchelor

CS17 #122, Kirsty Ann, is more or less finished (just the dodger to go), and has been launched here in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

I built her in a garage that is 17' deep and 16' wide, with a verandah at the front so that I could roll the cradle out when I needed to gain access all the way around. Now that she is on her trailer, she fits diagonally into the garage, in an area 17' by 14'7", with a couple of inches to spare.

Everything has had several coats of epoxy, and the hull and cockpit painted with Aquacote (an epoxy based high build undercoat that is quite easy to fair and a polyurethane topcoat that is incredibly hard). The deck has been painted with several coats of clear Aquacote, which has an ultraviolet inhibitor added to it. Both the epoxy and the paint were by Boatcraft Pacific (http://www.boatcraft.com.au/index.html). The bottom chine, and half of the upper chine, were fibreglass sheathed. Rubrails, sprits and tiller have been finished in Deks Olje.

Everyone is very pleased with the results (me expecially), and we're looking forward to lots of time on the water this summer, and we are planning a couple of weeks on the Gippsland Lakes in March, which is why I need to get on with finishing the dodger...

The info that I found in this forum made putting the boat together much easier - so a big thanks to all of the forum contributors.

Peter

post-480-129497645874_thumb.jpg

post-480-129497645876_thumb.jpg

That boat looks great! I was wondering how well that trolling motor moves her. I am planning to use one for auxilliary power when I get hull 113 finished. (This spring for sure). Is it adequate for running her up to the trailer and that kind of thing?

That boat looks great! I was wondering how well that trolling motor moves her. I am planning to use one for auxilliary power when I get hull 113 finished. (This spring for sure). Is it adequate for running her up to the trailer and that kind of thing?

We've used the Minn Kota Riptide 55 long shaft model, which draws 50 amps/hour and delivers a maximum of 55 lbs thrust. I've only had her in the water once so far, but the motor was able to push against a 20 kt headwind without any problem. It certainly wouldn't be any good for pushing the boat up onto the trailer though....

We're planning on using it mainly for pottering around rivers, and on the days when fishing rather than than sailing is more of a priority for our 5 year old :-)

Cheers, Peter

Peter

Well done!! Look like you have made a beautiful job. Nice to welcome another CS17 into Australasian waters. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine. There are few things that beat having your hand on the tiller of a boat you have built yourself as it cuts beautifully through the water.

Richard

Auckland

New Zealand

well, I can see all of the little mistakes :?

For all that, each time we've been out so far we've had lots of favourable comments about her, and questions about the design... hopefully there will be a few more being built in Melbourne over the next couple of years....

We're having a ball with her - going further afield, and faster, than with our previous boat, and the kids aren't getting bored and asking to go and play on the shore.

Peter

Peter

Well done!! Look like you have made a beautiful job. Nice to welcome another CS17 into Australasian waters. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine. There are few things that beat having your hand on the tiller of a boat you have built yourself as it cuts beautifully through the water.

Richard

Auckland

New Zealand