Old iron running again!

Kudzu

I loved the line from the commercial. I like new things.... when they get old. :lol: I looked for a long time a lathe and found one a few months back. Tonight I finally got it going.

lathe.jpg

It's a 1960's (I think) J-line wood lathe. It's a hunk of iron too! Around 600 lbs so they say. I turned bowls years ago and moved and lost my shop. My old craftsman would try to walk across the floor with a big chuck of out of round wood on it. This time I wanted something that wasn't going anywhere. 8)

It has a 1HP 3 phase motor. So I purchase a Variable Frequency Drive for it. After working 12-16 hour days for weeks now working on a new business idea I decided I need a break today. So I went to the shop to play with my train set. :D I got the VFD installed and the lathe running. I found a blank I made and gave it spin.

first_turn.jpg

This was just a trial blank and it rough but I like the idea. But most of all it was so nice to be turning again after 14+ years without a shop and a lathe!

That is a sweet machine! Looks like a very nice shot. This photo shows a bit more of it than others I have seen, and you have a nice one!

Try thsi site for information on you new lathe. They have a lot of information there and some of the old manuals.

http://www.owwm.com/

I am thinking there is another site specific to manuals also, but can't find my link to it.

Boy oh boy what a lathe! That would be fun. You can really turn some large stuff on that. I love turning wood. I'm not very good but it gets to you. I think it is the most expensive part of wood working though. You never seem to get through buying tools. A black hole, kind of like a boat!

Hope you get the time to use it!

Capt Jake, I ran across OWWT web site a year or so ago. Nothing much on this lathe but on their forum I did find a copy of the manual and parts diagram from another owner. I am going to scan it into PDF one day and submit it for others. Something like that is so useful! I am fortunate that this one needs no work (that I can tell of). Going to clean it up some and use it and see. I did notice the hand wheel (outboard face plate) was a bit warm. I didn't noitce the casting to be warm but may have a bad bearing. Could be the warm air from the motor and/or the VFD drive too. Will just have to watch and see. BTW, is that you I see posting on Wood Net?

P Doug, I have been wanting a lathe for a long time and I wanted something substantial. I love turning 'found" wood chunks. Always out or round and out of balance. I think this will be a good one for that too.

• 2 weeks later...