OK Oyster!!!

capt jake

Yeah- that's basically what he told me. It all originated on another site. Hopefully he'll get it worked out and we'll see his posts again soon.

Just let it be for a bit and perhaps it'll ease up for him soon. He's a nice guy and I hope he gets it all straightened out soon.

• 2 weeks later...

:wink:

'eyster' is documenting the dismantling and building of a new Simmons SeaSkiff based on the parts.

He carefully dismantled the boat in the photos and traced the parts on pattern stock.

The next step, when he has time amongst his other gazzilion projects, is to use the templates to build a new Simmons.

ACES, or so say I.

The particular boat that Mike is "rebuilding" was different from Simmon's regular designs and is between the 20 and 22 footers. He will use at least part of the deck and is able to scarf in the piece of the transom with the hull numbers carved in it. Otherwise it is as Dave said.

The weather around here has been so warm lately that working outside is a pleasure although very wet the last two days.

i saw a simmons 18 at the woodenboat show in newport ri last summer and really liked it. its the same boat thats been in the last two issues of woodenboat mag. simmons and his sons built around 800 of his sea skiffs in the 50s and 60s and they were very well respected for their seaworthiness. the army corps of engineers used his skiffs for a lot of their workboats. he probably would have built a lot more but one of his sons drowned while boating, so he finished the orders he had promised and stopped building boats. too bad.....

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that latest sorm left us without power for a few days. The good news is that all of that wind blew in another message in a bottle! :)

I finally got the working chine laminates glued up and in place. I am also making a conventional knee in the stem, adding additional joint tying in the frame to it, unlike he used just the stem only.

post-9-129497646235_thumb.jpg

post-9-129497646242_thumb.jpg

post-9-129497646247_thumb.jpg

post-9-129497646253_thumb.jpg