Great Lakes Boatbuilding's winter class

Greg Luckett

Week ending Saturday, 3/11/06. The shear plank was installed Friday. We hooked up the boat to hoists, removed the molds, rolled her over, and began making additinal floor timbers as well as working on the shear and getting it ready for the rub rails.

post-65-129497647513_thumb.jpg

post-65-129497647522_thumb.jpg

post-65-129497647533_thumb.jpg

post-65-129497647542_thumb.jpg

post-65-129497647552_thumb.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg

Nice boat!

I take it an outboard?

Excuse my ignorance, BUT :lol: is what you're calling the "gains" the (scarf joint ?) between the lapstrakes at the bow and transom? Nice detail! I always thought the plank thickness was planed down to get the curve fair. :oops:

Updated detail for plywood?

Greg

Nice boat!

I take it an outboard?

Excuse my ignorance' date=' BUT :lol: is what you're calling the "gains" the (scarf joint ?) between the lapstrakes at the bow and transom? Nice detail! I always thought the plank thickness was planed down to get the curve fair. :oops:

Updated detail for plywood?[/quote']

The gains are to reduce how much the ends of the planks sit on top of each other which makes them blend together without sticking up. This is at the stem and the transom. The entire length of the plank is beveled to allow the next plank to sit flat against it without making large gaps. I hope this explanation makes some sense. I have attached a crude sketch. Until I get my scanner hooked up again this will have to do.

Yes, it will have a 50 HP 4 stroke outboard.

I am not sure what you are asking about the plywood detail.

Notice how the planks are the same widths, all 12 of them, except the sheer plank, which will have a 2 inch rub rail, and then it will look the same width too. Also notice how the planks align and are the same widths at the stem. This is a neat trick. I have started looking at other lapstrake boats but seldom see this......so far anyway.

post-65-129497647648_thumb.jpg

Phil,

In some instances the gains blend in with the bevels but they are normally cut in at different angles. A gain is a tapered paper thin champher which changes to a bevel, then tapers out to nothing, and is only at the plank ends. This is hard for me to describe, but later I have been promised diagrams from our student recording everything. Don't let me forget to come back to this with the pics later, please :)

Got yea!

I see the transition between the bevel and the gain now. The gain allows the strake to flush-out to the stem or the transom. Is this a Bolger detail or traditional?

I always thought they planed the thickness of the strakes. See WB # 189 page 19 " The Landing School" Is this what you gain from a "gain"?

The detail your using allows for the full thickness of material, yet it's flush 8)

Epoxy resin with wood flour. This is how the planks are attached to each other and to the transom and stem. I was surprised at first as to how light and rigid this hull is. It will get stronger, too, once the floor and decking and cuddy cabin get installed.

Class #10, at least the first half. I had to leave early to attend a banquet with my wife.

The white oak rub rail has been added and the interior seams sanded since last weekend. This morning we finished adding more floor timbers (made from Yellow Pine I think), then fabricated the breast hook and the quarter knees (made from Cherry), and then steamed and attached the port side ribs (made from Sassafras). Yep, we steamed ribs. :lol:.

The class has also been extended to the end of April, but at no additional tuition costs.....quite a good deal :D .

post-65-129497647837_thumb.jpg

post-65-129497647847_thumb.jpg

post-65-129497647856_thumb.jpg

post-65-129497647864_thumb.jpg

post-65-129497647887_thumb.jpg

post-65-129497647902_thumb.jpg

Guest Oyster
The class has also been extended to the end of April, but at no additional tuition costs.....quite a good deal

Boy does this sound familiar with most of our boat projects, right on schedule, but...........................ands.........ifsss.....well it will be nice when its done, I am sure of that. :lol:

Oyster,

Last week, the buyer requested that a cuddy cabin be designed and installed instead of the center cockpit. This has caused a serious scheduling problem for the shop, thus this boat will probably not be finished and splashed this year. It should be at about the 80% point (my guess) by the end of April, which is this year's drop dead date. I learn something new every hour that I spend with the master builder, so am not disappointed about this turn of events. He makes sure to teach us skills and things to think about despite the boat schedule. All in all an excellent compromise for the students. I expect we will still be gathered for the completion and splashing next year and will be very disappointed if we are not.

Greg.

Guest Oyster

Yep, sing along with me

and while you are at it, it shouldn't be that much more when doing it in the construction phase of it, and surely its much easier if we do it now, instead of later, having to tear everything apart

But what? whatchusay? it will take that much longer to do it now? Gee, but its just a few more pieces of wood. :twisted: Please keep up updated as thats a nice project.

I've been following your progress in class with this boat and am delighted by what you are seeming to get out of the project. This is a bummer, but I've been there too. Client makes changes and entire project gets put aside due to other scheduled jobs that can't be delayed. Changes always seem to equate to long delays and delivery times seem to go on forever. But welcome to the real world. I sincerely hope that you will be able to help to complete it and be there when it splashes.

That is a nice hull!!!

I run into these change thingy's, new idea thingy's everyday in building buildings (esp. with housewives with too much time on their hands!!!). They normally don't understand what they're getting until it's in 3-D staring'em in the face! Then they don't like it, so it's re-model time on their dime? Go fiqure :roll: . I've built models for 2 recent clients for just that reason. But with hiring a custom boat-builder, you would think the guy had a pretty good idea of what he was getting? Anyway glad you (& I hope the Master) have a good attitude about the situation! Would it be out of line to ask what this hull will cost the client?

Phil