Great Lakes Boatbuilding's winter class

Greg Luckett

Sounds like a real fun time Greg. I learned all my stuff from T and E ( trail and error)

I suspect that ANY boatbuilder could learn things from any other qualified person if they just opened the mind. I know I sure as HELL don't know it all, and if I lived to be 500 I STILL wouldn't.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a real fun time Greg. I learned all my stuff from T and E ( trail and error)

I suspect that ANY boatbuilder could learn things from any other qualified person if they just opened the mind. I know I sure as HELL don't know it all' date=' and if I lived to be 500 I STILL wouldn't.[/quote']

I agree completely, Charlie. If I lived in Texas I would be visiting (pestering) you to "help" in your shop on a regular basis....at least until you chased me away. :lol:

Learning is a life long process and finding a pro to apprentice to takes diligent searching. Up to now the only way I have been able to learn is via the "T and E" method. I do not agree with everything this guy is saying but I definitely listen to him and ponder what he says and does. He is an impatient rascal at times... :lol:

LOL- "He is an impatient rascal at times..."

Yeah- I tend to get that way sometimes. Usually not with people although I don't tolerate stupidity very well.

Charlie,

I was speaking of the guy teaching my boat building class...not you. I did not write that previous post very well did I? :)

I suppose that being a pro tends to make a person realize the value of time, money, and the cost of stupidity more than an amateur would. :)

I apologize if I have offended you. :) I am drinking down that pot of coffee now and the brain is coming up to its normal speed......6 of 8 cylinders firing... :lol:

Greg.

Tell us more about the "'apprenticeship', of sorts" when you can. It sounds interesting.

I'de prefer not to at this point. I don't want to 'jinx' anything. ;) ;) I start on Tuesday, part-time job. I'll give it a wee bit of time and then tell you about it.

On another topic, I am going to try and get up North today. There are two people in this area building the Blue Jacket 24. One is ready for the first roll over!! :)

First day and I can now say that I can scarf plywood with the best of them. ;) Boss was hoping I would catch on, now I know why! ;) Managed to cut the scarfs on about 35 pieces of 1/2", more to finish tommorrow. Mountains of chips and dust there be. ;)Layed up a few panels to be lofted and cut tomorrow.

The other two working there managed to get all of the bulkheads cut out yesterday. :shock: Should be ready to start assembly later this week or beginning of next. ;)

I'm pooped! Sore too. ;)

OK, capt jake, if your going to tease us like this you really must "tell all" about what you are doing. It is just not fair!!!!!

I can't do that 'yet'. ;) It would ruin the surprise. Maybe I will take some pictures today to tease you some more. :) LOL

I thought I was sore last night. :roll: Amazing how fast things can go when you 'just do it'. LOL :) Have to get stretched out to go attack that monster power plane again.

OK Stump, any guesses??

9DSC01736-med.JPG

Only part of the stack of scarfed plywood. A partial stack can be seen on the sawhorses.

9DSC01737-med.JPG

Stack o' bulkheads.

9DSC01738-med.JPG

OK, it's hard to tell, but this is a 4x48' piece of plywood. ;)

BTW, no work today as the storm knocked out the power. Ah, my body gets to rest. :)

• 4 weeks later...

It is a dedicated class project, but some of us (not me yet) have been doing extra days to keep the project moving along more on schedule. We are trying to get a pair of planks done in a day and expect to be ready to remove the boat from the forms and roll her in about two weeks.

Those clamps are simple and made from 2x4s by some high school kids. They work really well for the lapstrakes. I will try to get some close up pics next week.

post-65-129497646966_thumb.jpg

post-65-129497646975_thumb.jpg

post-65-129497646985_thumb.jpg

post-65-129497646993_thumb.jpg

post-65-129497647004_thumb.jpg

A few more pics of the progress with planking. We have two more to do, and expect the last one (shear plank or Whiskey plank :D ) to be done next Saturday. I helped hang a pair yesterday and another pair today (#9 and #10). We also faired the keel more and then applied a layer of 10oz cloth. The boat is really starting to look sweet. I am having trouble making the gain cuts and the scarfs. I know what they should look like but am still training my body to use the tools correctly.

We also visited another boat builder who is almost finished making a Diesel Duck 48. http://dieselducks.com/Wood-constructionphotos.html

It was awesome :shock: :o:D

post-65-129497647342_thumb.jpg

post-65-129497647353_thumb.jpg

post-65-12949764736_thumb.jpg

post-65-129497647369_thumb.jpg